Super Tuesday 12 years ago. Originally posted Feb 7, 2008
HIP-HOP SUMMIT ACTION NETWORK’S “HIP-HOP TEAM VOTE” INITIATIVE CONTINUES WORK TO EDUCATE AND MOBILIZE
Super Tuesday was larger than life in more ways than one. Results in have proven what political analysts have been waiting and watching to see – the youth of this country are engaged and ready to have their collective voice heard. Record numbers of young people made their way to the polls yesterday to cast their vote in the Super Tuesday primary elections. CNN reported today that youth voting, in some of the 22 states that participated in Super Tuesday, was double the numbers of 2004 and, in other states, it was triple the numbers.”Young voters across America are to be applauded for their unprecedented display of civic engagement,” declared Russell Simmons, Chairman of the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network. “Super Tuesday was about voting in record numbers, but also it was about young people speaking out louder than ever before about the necessity for change in America. Hip-hop has always been about this kind of transformation. We must not rest as we celebrate but, even now, work harder and go to the polls in record numbers in the remaining states during this critical primary season.”Young people, dubbed the “Millennials” by some sociologists, had made a major impact already, coming out to vote in large numbers for the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries, at 13% and 43% respectively. Super Tuesday cements the deal – if politically active 20-somethings have their way, 2008 is going to be their year.
- Baltimore State’s Attorney and Top Prosecutor Indicted On Federal Charges
- The Amazing Howlin’ Wolf: Amazon Prime Documentary Review
- Chubb Rock Launches the Weekend Warriors as an Innovative Option for the Classics
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in Car when Teddy Pendergrass Crashed Speaks
- Whatever Happened to Sherry Carter from BET?
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- K. Michelle Comes Clean about Dangerous Multiple Surgeries in new Lifetime Series (video)
- Stealing Flat Screens from a Moving Train (video)
- 97.1 The Eagle Announces BFD 2022 Line Up
- Radio Stations Playing Rickey Smiley Morning Show