Radio Facts: In an unprecedented move that establishes what will be the nation’s most listened to sports radio network across the Top 50 markets, CBS Corporation today announced it has created CBS Sports Radio, a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week lineup of national programming from premier entities CBS RADIO and CBS Sports.
Cumulus Media, the largest pure-play radio broadcaster in the United States, is the network’s exclusive syndicator and sales partner to secure affiliate agreements and ad sales with radio stations nationwide through Cumulus Media Networks. In addition, Cumulus will make CBS Sports Radio programming available on 67 of its owned stations.
At launch, CBS Sports Radio will reach listeners in nine of the nation’s Top 10 markets, with a cumulative audience reach at debut close to 10 million listeners ““ nearly 90% of them located in Top 50 markets.
“As one of the leading media companies in the world, and a dominant force in sports programming, we look forward to bringing to bear the full resources of CBS and capitalizing on an exciting new growth opportunity for the company,” said Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation. “CBS Sports and CBS RADIO have been widely recognized for their outstanding contributions to sports broadcasting. This next step in their evolution will serve an ever-expanding audience of sports fans from coast to coast.”
“We are pleased to partner with CBS to deliver the leading entrant into the sports radio market,” said Lew Dickey, Chairman, President and CEO, Cumulus Media. “CBS Sports Radio is an exciting opportunity for us to offer compelling sports content to listeners nationwide, and unique sports marketing opportunities for our advertisers.”
CBS Sports Radio is designed to enhance CBS‘s existing sports properties and extend the national reach of the CBS Sports and CBS RADIO brands to additional outlets across the country. Programming will be led by the award-winning team at CBS RADIO, owners and operators of such #1-rated sports stations WFAN-AM in New York, WSCR-AM in Chicago, WIP-FM in Philadelphia, WBZ-FM in Boston and WXYT-FM in Detroit, among others.
“This is a great day for CBS RADIO and sports fans nationwide,” said Dan Mason, President and CEO, CBS RADIO. “For more than two decades we have owned local sports radio and appreciate great talent and programming that resonates with listeners and elicits passionate dialogue and debate. We are bullish our expertise and prior achievements will allow us to successfully complement our existing businesses while expanding into what until now has been a largely unchallenged sector of the radio business.”
“In this era of growing multimedia platforms, the addition of a national radio network to CBS Sports’ broadcast, cable and digital properties allows us to extend the storied CBS Sports brand to radio listeners across the country,” said Sean McManus, Chairman, CBS Sports. “We are pleased CBS Sports Radio will allow fans to consume CBS Sports content on a different platform from some of the most recognizable and respected broadcasters in the industry.”
Elements of CBS Sports Radio will include:
24/7 all-sports talk radio lineup to debut on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013. Original programs across multiple weekday and weekend time periods will feature expert sports commentary and interviews with major sports figures along with listener calls and fan interaction. All shows will broadcast live with an array of hosts, anchor teams and contributors.
Opportunities for affiliates to regionalize their lineup by choosing from select programs currently featured on CBS RADIO or Cumulus sports stations.
Beginning on Tuesday, Sept. 4, CBS Sports updates can be heard on all network affiliate stations (see attached list). Headlines, breaking news and scores from the day’s major events and stories will be heard hourly.
Contributions from sport-specific experts, as well as a prominent role on the network from CBS Sports, CBS Sports Networks and CBSSports.com’s roster of high-profile personalities delivering analysis, features and special reports.
Online streaming of live network broadcasts.
The following CBS RADIO stations will add various components of CBS Sports Radio programming to their lineup:
WFAN-AM (New York)
WJFK-FM (Washington, D.C.)
The following CBS RADIO stations will broadcast CBS Sports Radio programming as their 24/7 lineup when the network debuts on Jan. 2, 2013:
KYDZ-AM (Las Vegas)
The following Cumulus radio stations in the Top 100 markets will broadcast CBS Sports Radio programming:
KNBR-AM (San Francisco)
KTCT-AM (San Francisco)
WBBL-FM (Grand Rapids)
WWLS-A/F (Oklahoma City)
WMTI-FM (New Orleans)
KARN-AM (Little Rock)
WWBU ““FM (Roanoke)
WBGG-AM (Des Moines)
WNKT-FM/WYMB-AM (Columbia, S.C.)
WXSM-AM (Tri Cities)
KCSF-AM (Colorado Springs)
- Revisited: Pregnant Karen Calls Cops on Black Woman Sitting Outside Building in NYC (video) Thanks to Christian Cooper being a coward and not pressing charges against Amy Cooper in last week'...
- George Floyd and his Murderer Derek Chauvin’s former Employer have Radio Station Connection Not sure if many industry people know this but the club that George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked...
- On Benjamin Crump’s Communication Skills ...when you are in representing somebody in a courtroom, where life and death could hang in the ba...
- Heavyweight Boxing Champ Ken Norton Dies at 70 Originally posted on 2020-04-09 02:40:00 Radio Facts: Originally posted Sept 19, 2013 – Former hea...
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story ...
- Social Media Reacts To NFL Commissioner’s Hypocritical Statement On Protests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waF1RNWtABY
- Radio Facts Joins Music Industry for Black Out Tuesday KUDOS to the multiple record labels that have announced their support for Black Out Tuesday. Radio...
- Popular DC Radio DJ Dies Radio Facts is sad to report that popular radio DC Radio DJ Tony Redz has Died Photo Credit: INS...
- 99 Years Ago TODAY Black Wall Street was Burned to the Ground by Racists in Tulsa, OK (videos) In a time where black men and women worked hard to build their own communities by being entrepreneu...
- Jay-Z Reached out to Minnesota Governor Tim Walz about George Floyd Jay-Z reached out to the governor of Minnesota Governor Tim Walz about the George Floyd murder. ...