Part II of Urban Co-Lab’s Idea Incubation & Action Workshop Series
Diversity in Tech: Addressing the Technology & Innovation Gap in Austin
Urban Issue of Focus: Economic Equity & Entrepreneurship
Austin has one of the hottest tech scenes in the United States and has become one of the top innovative cities with many start up’s arising. As Austin is growing in popularity, one of the main issues in the tech world is how to bring diversity to the workforce and retain it. This panel will discuss the technology and innovation gap in Austin and how companies are addressing diversity and inclusion.
Many efforts have been made from local leaders and established businesses to promote diversity as well as diverse programming to encourage entrepreneurs and civilians to engage in technological advancement as a career path.
This panel will encourage a conversation of the efforts made to bring diversity to the city and hear the concerns of the community. Aside from a diversity in tech panel, the second portion of the program is called the “Idea Incubation Lab” where diversity inclusion experts assist new startups, established businesses and organizations in creating strategic objectives on how to increase diversity in their workspace as well as begin a conversation of how to make their workspace more inclusive.
**Before the event begins, there will be tech companies recruiting from 5:00PM to 5:45PM. Please feel free to bring your resumes and business cards.**
Check out Urban Co-Lab’s 2016 Diversity Report: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1a7LUBZ9tO5NldXVFZ6N3VRNnM/view
Idea Incubation and Action Workshop Agenda:
- 5:00 – 5:45 Recruiting and Registration
- 5:45 – 6:00 Opening remarks from CEO of Urban Co-Lab
- 6:00 – 6:30 Mayor Adler’s Vision for Diversity in Tech
- 6:30 – 7:30 Diversity Panel
- 7:30 – 7:45 Q & A
- 7:45 – 8:30 Idea Incubation Lab
Mayor Adler’s Vision for Diversity in Tech
- Moderator: President Colette Pierce Burnette from Huston-Tillotson University
- Panelist: Mayor Steve Adler from the City of Austin
Panel Speakers and Moderators:
- Moderator: Latinitas Magazine: Laura Donnelly
- Core Media: Ruben Cantu
- Panelist: Google: Ada- Renee Johnson
- Panelist: Capital Factory: Eugene Sepulveda
- Panelist: Binnys LLC/Former Dell:Binny Nanavati
Idea Incubation Lab
- Moderator: Michael Henderson
- Panelist: Kasita: Boris Pilev
- Panelist: Dropbox: Aaron Limonthas
- Panelist: Google: Lynette Barksdale
Participants are encouraged to bring their resumes/portfolios as recruiters from tech companies will be present.
Participants of the Idea Incubation Lab, please email your current report/diversity strategy to [email protected] for review.
Submit questions to panelists before/during/after event to #DivPanelATX
Please email Angelica Erazo at [email protected] for any of the following inquiries:
- You would like to sponsor the event
- You would like to cover the event — media inquiries
- You would like to recruit at the event
- You would like to register your company to the Idea Incubation Lab
- Additional questions or concerns