Unsung: Betty Wright. Airs April 5, 2020 on TVOne Check Local Listings – When I got the screener for Betty Wright for Unsung, I thought this must be a mistake. Betty Wright is one of the most respected legends in the industry. Then I saw the show, still not quite convinced that she was “Unsung” she was certainly underrated.
I’ve run into her over the years at several industry events and she is not only funny, as in comedian funny but she is also brilliant, SUPER talented a great writer and a great entrepreneur. Her vocal range is unmatched. You can tell she was raised well and was loved. Her confidence is through the roof.
No question, she was greatly inspired by her mother who was also a musician and was determined to teach her kids to sing gospel music. Her mother was also the first Black nurse in 1959 at Mt Sinai hospital in Miami.
Betty was a child prodigy and has been singing since the age of two and was offered her first record deal at just 11 years of age after singing with a song that she had won on the radio. Talent scouts approached her about signing then and there but her mother said no. Still, she found a way to do it anyway.
She had her first release at 14 in 1968. In 1972 at 18, she had a monster hit “Clean Up Woman” that she wrote and is probably still getting paid for to this day.
She consistently turned her trials into triumphs repeatedly and succeeded. Her third marriage was the most interesting. Her husband came into the marriage with 20 kids of his own. Yes, I said 20. She ended up having two more by him. I won’t give much more detail but will say this is a great watch.
- Woman Slaps Spirit Airlines Employee, Employee Attacks Her Back (video)
- Black Teen Gets Concussion, Lands in Coma, Wakes up only Speaking Fluent Spanish, Shocks Everyone (video)
- Support Provided for Grief-Stricken Staff After “Catastrophic Failure” Kills Over Twenty Thousand Fish
- Rickey Smiley Talks About Being Scared for Wendy Williams’ Life (VIDEO)
- Unlicenced Day Care Center Owner Charged After 7 Children Hurt in Fire (video)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Discusses a Woman Who is Willing to Share Her Man (VIDEO)
- Editorial: Angela Yee’s Exit from The Breakfast Club? Timely and Smart
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Getting Back Together for the Sake of their Children (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,