- Honoring Gospel Music Legend and Stellar Award Winner Donnie McClurkin, Founder & CEO of Tyscot Music + Entertainment Bishop Leonard Scott and NAACP Chairman Emeritus Roslyn M. Brock.
- Featuring Gospel Music Performances by Ernest Pugh, Andrea McClurkin Melinni, the Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church Choir, Alfred Street Baptist Church Royal Priesthood Choir and More
- Monday, September 18, 2017 at the Kennedy Center Concert Hall
The Gospel Music Heritage Month Foundation (#GMHM2017) is proud to announce its ninth annual “Evolution of Gospel,” which commemorates the month of September as Gospel Music Heritage Month (GMHM). The celebration will present inspirational and exhilarating music performances by some of Gospel music’s biggest stars and honor individuals who have made significant contributions to the rich legacy of Gospel music in America. The “Evolution of Gospel” will be held on Monday, September 18, 2017 at 7 p.m. EDT at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The event is free and open to the public.
This year’s Gospel Music Heritage Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to Stellar Award winning gospel music master/composer/producer/vocalist Donnie McClurkin. Other honorees are: Tyscot Music + Entertainment Founder and CEO Bishop Leonard Scott and civil right leader and NAACP Chairman Emeritus Roslyn McCallister Brock.
The awards event will be hosted by Grammy® Award-winning gospel music singer and television host Dr. Bobby Jones The program will include musical tributes by some of the most anointed gospel vocalists and choirs, including,Ernest Pugh, Andrea McClurkin Mellinni, Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church Choir,Alfred Street Baptist Church Royal Priesthood Choir, Patrick Lundy & Ministers of Music, Geneva DeVaughn, Syretta Thompson, JJ Hairston andYouth for Praise. The event is produced by Ernest Walker of Walker Entertainment Group.
In 2008, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) introduced historic resolution, H.J. Res. 90 which established September as Gospel Music Heritage Month across the nation. Advocates joining Congresswoman Lee in support of the recognition were gospel music advocate Carl Davis; UP TV Founder and President Charley Humbard, and entertainment executive Alvin Williams. With additional support from Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR), the bipartisan passage of the bill helped to usher in a new national focus to honor gospel music for its valuable and longstanding contributions to the culture of the United States. Subsequently, Congresswoman Lee led the effort with Carl Davis to create the Gospel Music Heritage Month Foundation that celebrates gospel music annually and honors the music as a national treasure.
Congresswoman Lee said of the event, “I am excited as we prepare to celebrate the 9th Annual Gospel Music Heritage Month Celebration at the world-renowned Kennedy Center. The Gospel Music Heritage Month Celebration is the nation’s singular event of significance commemorating gospel music history. This year presents one of our best celebrations as we honor three of America’s greatest advocates and beneficiaries of gospel music. Gospel music has a prominent place in the history of America and it has impacted the entire world for generations.”
Carl Davis, chairman of the Gospel Music Heritage Month Foundation stated, “This year we are proud to honor gospel icon, Donne McClurkin for his tremendous contribution to the gospel industry. We will also honor Bishop Leonard Scott, the founder and CEO of Tyscot Music + Entertainment for his contribution to the industry and Roslyn Brock for her service and commitment. The efficacy of these individuals has impacted the genre of gospel music with historical relevance and meaning. They have indelibly written on the consciousness of the human spirit the unyielding power of the gospel through song.”
- 1st Woman in GA to get Monkeypox Says it Didn’t Come from Sex … but Work (video)
- Park Visitor Discover Burning Body Hanging from Tree
- Man Leaves Philadelphia Because of Gun Violence, Comes Back for Funeral, Shot and Killed (video)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Says R Kelly Can Survive Off $500 After Government Seizes over $28,000 from Prison Account (VIDEO)
- Steve Harvey Says Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson Were Never Expected to Last (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Says, “Studs of America” Gave Brittney Griner a “Poor” Video Tribute (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- Tori Alamaze on Kelis, The Music Industry and New Project
- Drunk Driver Who Caused Horrific Crash That Killed 6 in LA was “Upset Over Fight with Boyfriend” (video)
- Ebro in the Morning Discusses Irv Gotti Still Wearing the Watch Ashanti Gave Him (VIDEO)