SESAC Signs Nigerian Songwriter and Pop Star Burna Boy
Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter and Nigerian pop star Burna Boy, best known as Nigeria’s musical ambassador, who continues to capture the world audience with his Afro-fusion harmonies and upbeat melodies, has signed with SESAC Performing Rights for direct U.S. representation, it was announced today.
Prolific songwriter and artist Damini “Burna Boy” Ogulu, who recently released his fifth studio album Twice As Tall, is a two-time honoree of the Best International Act BET Award and a recipient of the MTV Europe Music Awards Best African act. Twice As Tall, executive produced by Sean “Diddy” Combs, Bosede Ogulu and Damini “Burna Boy” Ogulu, was recorded mostly during the COVID-19 pandemic. The newest album is a follow-up to his Grammy-nominated African Giant, which garnered hundreds of millions of streams in 2019.
“With his empowering lyrics and enrapturing beats, it’s no surprise that Burna Boy is leading the way for Afro-fusion throughout the world,” says Mario Prins, Sr. Director of Creative Services, SESAC. His music and African roots are deeply felt—finding its way into every aspect of American Music. I believe we have yet to see the best of him as he continues to reach greater heights. SESAC is very proud to officially welcome Burna Boy to our direct affiliate family.”
“My music and I are global,” said Burna Boy. “But it makes sense to have SESAC represent me in the U.S.A.”
In addition, Burna Boy has released a series of EPs and singles including the award-winning 2018 album Outside, which led to Burna’s U.S. breakthrough—debuting at #3 on Billboard’s Reggae Albums chart. Last summer, Burna was featured on The Lion King soundtrack, The Gift, curated by American singer-songwriter Beyoncé. Other fans and collaborators include Coldplay’s Chris Martin in “The Monsters You Made,” which reflects the current climate of systemic racism and social injustice, and artist Sam Smith, who featured Burna Boy in the July release of “My Oasis.”
- White Guy Eloquently Breaks Down Black Pride Vs. White Pride (Video)
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- Allison Seymour and Marc Clarke debut on .100 Hip Hop and RNB FM Monday, August 17th
- Swizz Beatz and Alicia Keys Win First Camel Race as New Owners
- White Guy Loses It on Airplane and Causes Chaos After Dropping Racial and Homophobic Slurs (VIDEO)
- Busta Rhymes Calls Out T.I. for Backing Down from Potential Verzuz Battle
- White Couple Walks in Black Man’s Airbnb Because He Looks Suspicious (VIDEO)
- Kanye West vs. Issa Rae | The Joe Budden Podcast
- Lubin’ Jeffrey Toobin Gets Caught On Zoom | The Joe Budden Podcast
- Bryon Allen Adds Another TV Station to His Catalogue