Radio Facts: Chris Schwartz, CEO of legendary hip-hop label Ruffhouse Records, today announced his proud support of BEANIE SIGEL following the Philadelphia rapper's sentencing for failure to file tax returns.
Despite being sentenced today by a federal judge to two years in prison, Sigel will be the first artist to release music on the newly revived Ruffhouse Records. Sigel's upcoming album, THIS TIME, will be released Aug. 28 to launch a new distribution deal between Ruffhouse and EMI Label Services. The first single, “The Reunion,” shipped to radio this week.
“We're extremely proud to be re-launching Ruffhouse Records with Beanie Sigel as our first artist,” said Schwartz, a founding partner at the groundbreaking label which sold 100 million records worldwide in its first incarnation. “His sentencing today doesn't change any of that in the least. Regardless of this unfortunate situation, Beanie has created a tremendous body of work that is totally worthy of the Ruffhouse name. It's almost ironic that the sentencing is happening on the eve of this record, because this record is about introspection and redemption. Beanie is truly one of the great lyricists in the hip-hop game. He stands tall among all the major MCs and he's revered by all hip-hop aficionados around the world.”
Ruffhouse Records, recently proclaimed “one of the greatest record labels of all time” by HipHopDX, is known for catapulting the careers of some of Hip-Hop's finest artists in the 1990s, including Lauryn Hill, the Fugees, Cypress Hill and Kris Kross.
“I'm basically following the same criteria as the previous Ruffhouse Records for the artists we represent,” says Schwartz. “We're working with self-established marquee artists, and Beanie is the perfect fit.”
- Fight Breaks out at Gospel Radio Station
- Roland S. Martin Joins Black Information Network
- National Museum of African American Music Announces the Appointment of Its Music Industry Relations Committee
- Soul Train Creator Don Cornelius’ Funeral Program
- Amanda Seales: Whiteness is Nothing to be Proud Of (Video)
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- 2020 BMI Pop Awards Publisher of the Year Goes to Sony/ATV Music Publishing
- Atlanta’s Black Radio Stations Come Together for Black Radio United For The Vote
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time