Pregnant Woman Set on Fire: Boyfriend gets $50k Bond


    Police are concerned that a criminal will be back on the streets soon after her boyfriend set a 26-year-old pregnant woman on fire. While the unborn twins and their mother fight for their lives, the boyfriend has been arrested and charged.

    Last Friday, on January 14, Detroit police said Devonne Marsh set his girlfriend on fire after getting into a heated argument in their Detroit home near Packard and Outer Drive. Lighter fluid was thrown on the victim, and she was then set on fire.

    The soon-to-be mom was 27 weeks into her pregnancy with twins.

    “How do you do this to another human being? I can’t – it’s unimaginable,” said Detroit Police Commander Michael McGinnis. “Just incredibly traumatic injuries. I did see pictures, and I just…the pain she must be suffering, I can’t imagine.”

    Third-degree burns cover 60% of the woman’s body. She is in critical condition fighting for her life. The fate of her twins is still unknown at this time.

    According to Sgt. Kyla Williams, who oversees the Detroit Police Department domestic violence unit, the victim was afraid to come forward and report her attack to authorities for fear of retaliation from Marsh. After a tip alerted police to the crime, the pregnant mom felt safe enough to come forward and tell what happened.

    “They don’t even have a chance – they don’t have a fighting chance at life,” Williams said. “I want to applaud her for coming forward. I want to again let her know that she is not alone. She has the men and women of the Detroit Police Department to support her.”

    Marsh has a lengthy criminal record including, parol violations, guns, assault, and drug charges. Currently, he is being detained on these charges. He was wanted in Macomb County and had a pending case in Livonia.

    “We just hope that he remains in custody through the trial process so the victim can heal without fear of any kind of retribution from him,” McGinnis said.

    Despite March having a lengthy criminal record, bail was set at $50,000 or 10%. Marsh could be free if he posted a $5,000 bond.

    Leave a Reply