Radio Facts: On Monday July 27, 2009 Power 99 FM and WDAS FM will partner with the Philadelphia NAACP to host students from Creative Steps Inc. summer camp for a special workshop on human relations. Philadelphia NAACP President J. Whyatt Mondesire will lead the students in a seminar designed to put their widely publicized ban from the Valley Club swimming pool in the context of the Civil Rights Movement. According to Mondesire there is another key goal. “In the middle of all the media hype we wanted to pause and look at what actions these young people can take to turn what has been a deeply troubling experience into something positive,” he said. Loraine Ballard Morrill Director of News and Community Affairs said, “We can't be happier to partner with the Philadelphia NAACP for this event and give the youth a voice that will be heard through our airwaves and to have a thoughtful discussion of race relations in light of this incident and the recent arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates “ The kids will be greeted by Power 99 fm's Shamara and WDAS FM's Patty Jackson at a breakfast donated by John Dawkins, CEO and President of Jo-Dan Enterprises/McDonald's Licensee. This will be followed by the seminar lead by Mondesire which will be recorded for airing on Power 99 fm and WDAS FM and posted on their websites. The stations will then sending the campers off for a trip to Dorney Park. A local clothing retailer is donating money to outfit the kids.
Power 99 fm and WDAS FM are recognized nationally for their commitment to community service.
- Is Byron Allen Interested in Buying TV One? Is Radio One an Added Bonus?
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- ENTERTAINMENT ONE ELEVATES ANDRE HOWARD TO VP DIGITAL MARKETING AND EBRAHIM RASHEED TO DIRECTOR A&R & ARTIST DEVELOPMENT
- Black Man Almost Lynched in Bloomington, Indiana (video)
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- When Keeping it Racist Goes Wrong and Gets You Almost Knocked Out
- Dr. Anthony Fauci joined host Dr. Marc Siegel during a special edition of SiriusXM Doctor Radio’s “Doctor Radio Reports”
- DJ Cassidy Threw the Best Online Party with Pass The Mic
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time
- Stealing Flat Screens from a Moving Train (video)