Michael Baisden Commentary: A Man With A Plan And A Man Of PrinciplesI don’t understand why people get so angry when they get fired from a job or dumped in a relationship. Didn’t they see it coming? Or are they so caught up in the “vapors” that they develop a case of selective amnesia?
The day that someone comes to work for me, I tell them to start planning for life after radio. “What is your plan?” I ask them. And if we’re within 3 years of the end of a contract I have a meeting with my staff and tell them, “Start planning to leave, now!”When someone let’s you go in business or relationship, there’s no time for anger, that’s the time to execute your plans. That’s right, I said plans with a capital (S) because you’d better have a plan A, B, and C. And D, if possible.Today’s world is not the one our parents grew up in where you can expect to work 20 to 30 years in a factory, get a pension with benefits, and live happily ever after.
Those days are long gone! You better start planning for retirement at 25 if you’re serious about having enough money to enjoy your golden years!
It’s that serious.Life after radio for me is not going to be an issue because unlike many celebrities I did not spend my money on fancy cars, making babies all over town, purchasing big houses, and bling blinging with extravagant jewelry.
My truck is 5 years old, I have one daughter and she is about to graduate college next month, and instead of buying one of those huge “MTV Cribs” I invested most of my money into rental properties. As the saying goes, “If it’s on your ass…it’s not an asset!”We must stop being slaves to our possessions.
When we do that we put ourselves at the mercy of those who would take advantage of us. Stop showing off, being flashy is a sign of insecurity. Real wealth does not show off, it moves in silence.And above all else, we must set standards and stick to them. Yes, my radio career is over….FOR NOW!
And although I may not have the same paycheck come April 1st, I can look at the man in the mirror and be proud of the reflection of the person looking back at me. And that’s what being a real man and woman is all about, having your business in order and standing by your principles.Good Night Family – Michael Baisden
- Woman Slaps Spirit Airlines Employee, Employee Attacks Her Back (video)
- Black Teen Gets Concussion, Lands in Coma, Wakes up only Speaking Fluent Spanish, Shocks Everyone (video)
- Support Provided for Grief-Stricken Staff After “Catastrophic Failure” Kills Over Twenty Thousand Fish
- Rickey Smiley Talks About Being Scared for Wendy Williams’ Life (VIDEO)
- Unlicenced Day Care Center Owner Charged After 7 Children Hurt in Fire (video)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Discusses a Woman Who is Willing to Share Her Man (VIDEO)
- Editorial: Angela Yee’s Exit from The Breakfast Club? Timely and Smart
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Getting Back Together for the Sake of their Children (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,