SUPERSTAR JANET JACKSON TO BE NAMED A BMI ICON AT THE
2018 BMI R&B/HIP-HOP AWARDS
Evening Celebrates the Previous Year’s Top R&B/Hip-Hop Songwriters, Producers, Music Publishers and Administrators on
Thursday, August 30th in Atlanta, Georgia
Photo credit: Solaiman Fazel
Atlanta, GA, June 26, 2018 – BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.), the global leader in rights management, is proud to announce that multiplatinum superstar Janet Jackson will be named a BMI Icon at the 2018 BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Awards. The event will be held Thursday, August 30th at The Woodruff Arts Center’s Symphony Hall in Atlanta and will be hosted by BMI President & CEO Mike O’Neill and BMI Vice President Creative (Atlanta), Catherine Brewton.
“As one of the most influential entertainers of all time, Janet Jackson’s artistry and music transcends generations and has inspired many with messages of empowerment that can be heard throughout her rich catalog of music,” said Brewton. “She is the definition of an icon, and I can’t think of anyone more deserving of this honor.”
Jackson joins an elite group of recipients who have received BMI’s Icon Award for their “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.” Past recipients have included Patti LaBelle, Nile Rodgers, James Brown, Snoop Dogg and Al Green among others.
Throughout her groundbreaking career, she’s sold more than 160 million records worldwide, scored seven No. 1 albums, and she’s the only artist in Billboard’s history to have three different albums— Control, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 and janet.—each produce five or more top ten hits on the Hot 100 chart. Jackson is also one of only four artists, alongside Bruce Springsteen, Barbra Streisand and U2, to have earned No. 1 albums in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s.
She has received two Emmy nominations, a Golden Globe and Academy Award nomination, and garnered six GRAMMY® Awards along with dozens of American Music Awards, MTV Video Music Awards and Billboard Music Awards, including this year’s Billboard Icon Award which was her first televised performance in nine years. With no signs of slowing down, Jackson has a series of upcoming summer performances that kick off July 8th in New Orleans at the ESSENCE Festival and go through August 12th in San Francisco at the Outside Lands Music Festival.
Throughout the evening, BMI will also salute the songwriters, producers, publishers and administrators of the past year’s 35 most-performed R&B/Hip-Hop songs in the United States from BMI’s repertoire of more than 13 million musical works. The BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Songwriter, Producer and Publisher of the Year will be named during the ceremony.
For more information on the BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Awards, visit https://www.bmi.com/genres/rb_hiphop and to join the conversation, use hashtag #BMIRnBHipHopAwards.
To request press credentials, visit https://www.bmi.com/press#credentials. Press credentials will be for red-carpet arrivals only. A limited number of media will be credentialed to cover the awards ceremony.
- Is Byron Allen Interested in Buying TV One? Is Radio One an Added Bonus?
- ENTERTAINMENT ONE ELEVATES ANDRE HOWARD TO VP DIGITAL MARKETING AND EBRAHIM RASHEED TO DIRECTOR A&R & ARTIST DEVELOPMENT
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- Black Man Almost Lynched in Bloomington, Indiana (video)
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time
- STEVE STOUTE’S UNITEDMASTERS LAUNCHES NEW PROGRAM GIVING ARTISTS 100% OF ROYALTIES
- Job Opening: Beasley Media Seeks Operations Manager
- BUSINESS: Is Entercom about to sell Urban Stations to iHeart?
- Kailee Scales, Managing Director of The Black Lives Matter Global Network Now Represented by The Chamber Group