Was watching a vid with Charlamagne Tha God the other day, why do industry people get mad at me for talking him up? Is he a threat? He is only 29! At any rate, Charlamagne Tha God, while not having a lot of urban radio experience is pretty wise beyond his years and he was talking about the dream deferred for the black Radio DJ, who thinks he can rise to the stars when he or she starts out in urban radio but learns too late it’s probably not going to happen (laugh). When I started in radio there was a mass exodus of old ass black Radio DJs. So I didn’t have anyone to tell me, “Don’t fall for the bullsh… young en, get out if you are not where you want to be by the time you are 30 chile.” I thought I was starting late at 23 and quit my job making $700 a week as a waiter at the Marriott Marquis in Atlanta in 1985. I should have learned my lesson after working for Dorothy Brunson at WIGO in Atlanta. My salary went from $700 a week to $210 a MONTH doing overnights. WIGO was the very first Radio Station I worked for (and almost the last). Dorothy was a mean and bitter woman, I am being very kind when I describe her like that. I’ve heard her called many other things (laugh). I don’t even know if she is still alive but when you said good morning to her, you were lucky if she grunted back (laugh). I ran into so many more of her during my tenure and I did get out by the time I was 32 and started the magazine Radio Facts . But I see so many Radio DJs well into their 40’s who are either waiting for a break or they have given up and are just glad to come into the radio factory each day.Yesterday I was reading a story on Ryan Seacrest signing a fooking 4o million dollar deal and he is 34. Wendy Williams just got her own TV show at 45. Ryan has been doing TV for damn near 10 years now and got his first big break when he was half of Wendy’s age. This is probably why I have such issues with old ass rich black Radio DJs (laugh). I mean it’s OK to make your money but bring a new talent along for a part of the ride you greedy motha fookas. You can’t die and take this sh… with you and bringing your family members into the fold DOES NOT COUNT. They have not paid any dues. You could utilize that young unknown talent to open up doors for yourself and your boring ass shows and eventually urban radio IS going to realize the advantage of having local talent again if they want to stay alive…. Sh… , I give up. I’m in this fight by myself. I’m going to the gym to go swimming. Motha fook this.
- Police Arrest GA ‘Pastor’ After People Discovered Locked in Basement
- BRE Publisher Sidney Miller Jr. has Died
- Sony Music Publishing Launches Co-Venture
- Skyview Networks Elevates Steve Jones to CEO and President
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- Prison Sentence Handed Down to Ex-Detroit Councilman Andre Spivey in Bribery Case (video)
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- Whatever Happened to Sherry Carter from BET?
- DC Council candidate Nate Fleming carjacked in Northeast DC (video)
- Radio Mercury Awards Announces New Executive Creative Director