PRS for Music are delighted to announce that award-winning singer-songwriter Laura Mvula has been appointed to the PRS Members’ Council with immediate effect. Mvula lends invaluable expertise as a songwriter and touring performing artist with an illustrious career. A graduate of the prestigious Royal Birmingham Conservatoire with a degree in composition she has also received an Honorary Doctorate for her services to music from her alma mater, Birmingham City University.
Mvula has led several acapella, jazz, neo-soul and gospel choirs in her career and is classically trained. Her critically acclaimed albums have been welcomed with numerous accolades including two MOBO awards, two Ivor Novello awards and two Mercury Prize shortlist nominations. Adding to her expertise, in 2017 she composed the music for the Royal Shakespeare Company production of Antony & Cleopatra.
Laura Mvula says, “Writing has always been part of my everyday life. Teaching, conducting, arranging, performing – each has taught me something about what it means to be a musician and songwriter. As a PRS Writer Council Member, it’s my desire to ensure music creators are given the support they need to navigate the ever-changing landscape. I believe songwriters and composers should benefit from the structures and processes of which they are the foundation. I believe that representation truly matters. It can turn the tide in conversations and decision-making. As a writer, composer and recording artist but also, a black British woman with over 10 years in the industry, there are countless experiences to which I can uniquely speak, and I look forward to bringing that to the table”.
Laura’s appointment follows songwriter and composer Hannah Peel’s decision to stand down from the Members’ Council. Peel was elected to the Members’ Council May 2022 Annual General Meeting. She explains her decision to step down in an exclusive interview with M Mag.
Peel’s decision created a casual vacancy on the Members’ Council. The process to fill casual vacancies is at the discretion of the Member’ Council. The decision was made to invite all the candidates who stood for election at the 2022 AGM to be considered for the role. Of those that chose to stand and based on the collegiate voting system, Writer Council Members voted in a blind ballot. The result was then ratified by the entire Members’ Council. Casual vacancies to the Members’ Council are appointed until the next AGM, when the role becomes vacant and is subject to a vote at the AGM.
The role of the PRS Member Council is to focus on ensuring that the views, concerns and needs of PRS members are heard and met. The Member Council also focuses on strategic oversight and reviewing company performance.
Andrea Czapary Martin, CEO, PRS for Music says, “The PRS Member Council gives a fundamental voice to our member community and is an active and vital part of our governance. We strive to ensure that the council is representative across our varied membership, and I am thrilled to welcome Laura Mvula as she joins the council. “
Nigel Elderton, Chair of the PRS Members’ Council says, “I extend a very warm welcome to Laura Mvula as she joins the PRS Member Council. To have the benefit of her vast experience as a songwriter, composer, and performer and as a woman navigating the music industry, I have no doubt that Laura will make a significant contribution to our deliberations.”
- Neighbors Cry for More Police Funding After Elderly Woman is Zip-Tied, Robbed, in Broad Daylight
- Prominent Dallas Attorney, Charged, Loses License over Deal to Launder $500 a Month in Drug Money
- Terrance Dean, Author of “Hiding in Hip Hop” has Died
- Mass Shooting Near Recreation Center Where Children Were Nearby in Philly, 5 Shot (Video)
- Devoted Father who Homeschooled his Four Young Daughters, Killed in Road Rage Incident
- Rapper Served Warrant, Has Tiger as Pet, Arrested (video)
- Ebro in the Morning Talks to Tracy Morgan about Returning to the Stage After His Tragic Accident, New Tour, And More (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses If Nicki Minaj Crossed the Line with Her Comments About Kevin Federline (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Questioned if Children of Movie Stars Should Automatically Get a Role in Their Parent’s Film (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die