Epic Special Programming Event for Alternative Rock Fans – Presented by Coors Light – Kicked Off Today on WKQX and Runs Nine Hours a Day Through October 9th
Companion Podcast Will Dive Even Deeper Into Alternative’s History
CUMULUS MEDIA announces that Chicago’s Alternative Rock station 101 WKQX-FM will tell the history of the Alternative genre through “The History of Alternative”, an exclusive 5-week radio series that kicked off today at 10:00am. The special programming, sponsored by Coors Light, will take Alternative fans through an epic anthology of the music, memories and events that have defined Alternative and will air 9 hours a day, every day, on 101 WKQX through October 9th. The program will include a list of the top moments in the history of Alternative, compiled by 101 WKQX’s Morning team of Brian, Ali and Justin, which will air throughout the day.
101 WKQX will also debut a companion podcast, “The History of Alternative”, that explores this all-encompassing musical genre even more deeply. In addition, Jon Manley, Assistant Program Director/Night Host, 101 WKQX, will include a daily blog post with his “Mixtape” for the day, featuring a compilation of songs that come together in a new daily category.
Troy Hanson, WKQX Program Director and VP, Corporate Programming/Rock Formats, CUMULUS MEDIA, commented: “For 25 plus years, WKQX has had the good fortune of being Chicago’s amplifier to all things Alternative. This labor of love will showcase the music since the dawn of the genre, as well as the pop culture happenings surrounding the movement. A credit to our incredible listeners who have helped shape the face of Alternative. We’ve got you covered. All 23 minutes of Kraftwerk ‘Autobahn’? Check. Guyliner tips from The Cure? Check. Flannel meets Punk meets Lilith Fair? Check. Zoot Suit Chain Wallets? Check. Backwards Red Baseball cap? Yeah….even that phase, plus a couple more surprises along the way.”
“The History of Alternative” was produced by 101 WKQX’s Troy Hanson, Jon Manley and James Van Osdol. The series was narrated by Brian Philips and hosted by Lauren O’Neal and Tim Virgin.
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- Attn: Black Music Executives Pertaining to Racism in the Industry
- Black Mother Stands Up to Cop and Refuses to Let Her Son Become a Hashtag (VIDEO)
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- The Undeniable BEST Black Male Singers of All Time
- Odell Beckham Jr. Responds To Rumored Bedroom Activities
- Ray J Explains Why He Decided To File For Divorce
- Hit-Boy & Wale Respond To Kanye West’s Universal Music Group Contract Rant
- BET Told Envy He Wasn’t Black Enough For Their Network
- 50 Cent Working On New Series Based On His Beef w/ The Game & Jimmy Henchman