Last July, history was made when the Senate passed the resolution S.Res.331 under the guidance of Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, declaring August 11th National Hip Hop Celebration day and the month of November National Hip Hop Month.
Congresswoman Maxine Waters of California and Congressman Jamaal Bowman of New York were key players in drafting and bringing the resolution to life in order to acknowledge and celebrate the Hip Hop genre and the impact of its culture on American history. Congressman Bowman even cites his love for Hip Hop and the role it played in his personal development as a major motivator for getting Resolution 331 passed.
On co-sponsoring the bill, Congressman Bowman said, “Hip Hop is my life. Hip Hop saved my life. Hip Hop gave me knowledge of self. Hip Hop is who I am.”
In honor of National Hip Hop Month and the passing of Resolution 331, the Universal Hip Hop Museum has launched their “KNOW YA HIP HOP” campaign for the month of November in order to help bring awareness to the long history of the culture grown around Hip Hop, and to also pay homage to the figures who helped progress the genre as a whole.
The “KNOW YA HIP HOP” campaign sets out to achieve its goal of educating the public on Hip Hop through its curation of daily historic content that will include sharing rare Hip Hop flyers, untold artists’ stories, historical facts, and tributes to Hip Hop icons.
The Universal Hip Hop Museum was originally founded in 2015 by Rocky Bucano and Hip Hop legends Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Melle Mel, and Afrika Bambaataa with the ultimate goal of preserving and commemorating Hip Hop music and the culture that has been formed around it. Located in the Bronx, not far from the birthplace of Hip Hop music, the Universal Hip Hop Museum will not only showcase artifacts of the culture surrounding Hip Hop, but it will also include a 300 seat theatre open to the public, free of charge.
The Universal Hip Hop Museum is set to officially open in 2024.
- Neighbors Cry for More Police Funding After Elderly Woman is Zip-Tied, Robbed, in Broad Daylight
- Prominent Dallas Attorney, Charged, Loses License over Deal to Launder $500 a Month in Drug Money
- Rapper Served Warrant, Has Tiger as Pet, Arrested (video)
- Steve Harvey Says R Kelly’s Situation is a “Tragedy On All Levels” (VIDEO)
- Young Boy Dies After Nebraska Experiences Its First Ever Case of Rare Brain-Eating Organism
- Devoted Father who Homeschooled his Four Young Daughters, Killed in Road Rage Incident
- Woman Arrested After Leaving Toddler in Hot Car While Working Shift at McDonald’s
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses If Nicki Minaj Crossed the Line with Her Comments About Kevin Federline (VIDEO)
- Ebro in the Morning Talks to Tracy Morgan about Returning to the Stage After His Tragic Accident, New Tour, And More (VIDEO)
- Mass Shooting Near Recreation Center Where Children Were Nearby in Philly, 5 Shot (Video)