Netflix Announces a New Dramatic Limited Series on Colin Kaepernick’s High School Years Created by Kaepernick and Ava DuVernay ‘Colin in Black & White'
The adolescent life of all-star athlete and activist Colin Kaepernick will come to television screens around the world in Colin in Black & White, a new scripted limited series from Kaepernick and Academy Award® Nominee and Emmy Award® Winner Ava DuVernay. The series will focus on Kaepernick’s formative high school years, lending meaningful insight into the acts and experiences that led him to become the activist he is today. Emmy Award® Nominee Michael Starrbury writes and serves as executive producer, alongside DuVernay and Kaepernick who will appear as himself as narrator of the series.
The six-episode series, which was conceived in 2019 and recently completed writing in May, provides an introspective look at Kaepernick’s early life as a Black child growing up with a white adopted family and his journey to become a great quarterback while defining his identity. The limited series reunites Starrbury and DuVernay who last worked together on Netflix’s acclaimed When They See Us, which received 16 Emmy Award® Nominations, including a nomination for Outstanding Writing for the duo and was recently honored with a Peabody Award®.
“With his act of protest, Colin Kaepernick ignited a national conversation about race and justice with far-reaching consequences for football, culture and for him, personally,” said DuVernay. “Colin’s story has much to say about identity, sports and the enduring spirit of protest and resilience. I couldn’t be happier than to tell this story with the team at Netflix.”
“Too often we see race and Black stories portrayed through a white lens,” said Kaepernick. “We seek to give new perspective to the differing realities that Black people face. We explore the racial conflicts I faced as an adopted Black man in a white community, during my high school years. It’s an honor to bring these stories to life in collaboration with Ava for the world to see.”
“We’re proud to bring Colin’s experience and his creative vision to life as he joins Ava to share his powerful story and message with all our members around the world,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “It is an unparalleled union of two strong and defining voices coming together to tell the story about what it’s like to be Black in America.”
- Frank Ski and Nina Brown Talk about V103 Exit and WHUR Plans (DARF.TV video)
- .100 HIP HOP AND RNB FM MAKE MAJOR FREE AGENT MOVES, Marc Clark and K. Foxx
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- Cardi B Celebrates The Debut Of ‘WAP’
- DJ Cassidy’s Pass The Mic Volume II Was the Best Party on the Internet
- Cardi B feat Megan Thee Stallion Use Frank Ski Sample in New Song “WAP” (videos)
- The Undeniable BEST Black Male Singers of All Time
- Ellen Degeneres And Her Toxic Workplace | The Joe Budden Podcast
- DJ Arrested After Sexual Battery Charge, Talks about Dark Side of Being a World Famous DJ
- Is Envy’s Beard Real Or Fake?