After getting off their leashes, two dogs mauled a 12-year-old boy playing at the park with friends. City officials said the boy was taken to a hospital.
On Saturday, the attack happened at Karrh Park on S. Ann Street. The unnamed boy was playing with some friends when the dogs rushed over and attacked him.
Before the attack, the two dogs had somehow managed to get off their leashes. Local TV station 6KTAL was told by the father that friends managed to pull the boy away from the dogs and seek help.
According to the network, the tween is expected to recover from his injuries. An investigation into the attack has since been carried out by Texarkana’s animal control department.
The dogs’ owner consented to the animals being seized and placed into quarantine for observation.
More than 4.5 million people are bitten each year in the U.S. Some 800,000 Americans receive medical attention for dog bites every year, According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
“Children are the most common victims of dog bites and are far more likely to be severely injured,” informed the AVMA.
It continued: “Most dog bites affecting young children occur during everyday activities while interacting with familiar dogs.”
A 4-year-old boy in Texas died from injuries received during an attack by dogs last month. Baytown Police Chief John Stringer said officers responded to “a call that every officer dreads.”
He added, in a statement: “We are heartbroken for the loss of this child. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the community who has been impacted by this tragedy.”
- Woman Slaps Spirit Airlines Employee, Employee Attacks Her Back (video)
- Black Teen Gets Concussion, Lands in Coma, Wakes up only Speaking Fluent Spanish, Shocks Everyone (video)
- Support Provided for Grief-Stricken Staff After “Catastrophic Failure” Kills Over Twenty Thousand Fish
- Rickey Smiley Talks About Being Scared for Wendy Williams’ Life (VIDEO)
- Unlicenced Day Care Center Owner Charged After 7 Children Hurt in Fire (video)
- Editorial: Angela Yee’s Exit from The Breakfast Club? Timely and Smart
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Discusses a Woman Who is Willing to Share Her Man (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Getting Back Together for the Sake of their Children (VIDEO)
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,