National Museum of African American Music Adds Jimi Hendrix Artifact
Guitar smashed on stage by Hendrix collected in Memphis
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (Jan. 28, 2019) – The National Museum of African American Music has added to its growing artifact collection a guitar smashed onstage by Jimi Hendrix.
The guitar was gifted to the museum by Memphis resident and photojournalist George Tillman, who was given the guitar by guitarist Larry Lee, famous for his work with Hendrix and Al Green. Lee remembers picking up the destroyed guitar during a performance with Hendrix, who was known for destroying guitars and sound equipment on stage. Only half of the guitar’s body remains the neck and fretboard still intact, with a few broken strings still connected to the headstock.
“Years ago, Larry Lee gifted me this guitar out of the blue, and it’s become one of my most prized possessions,” Tillman said. “But now I’m honored that something that has meant so much to me personally now has the opportunity to inspire others in the National Museum of African American Music.”
“Jimi Hendrix is one of the most important figures in American pop culture, not just American music,” said Dr. Steven Lewis, curator at NMAAM. “This guitar provides a physical reminder of the power of his music, his personality and his brand of self-expression that was as influential in the 1960s as it is today.”
The museum has already collected multiple Hendrix-related artifacts among the 1,200 already collected, including vintage concert materials. Hendrix will be prominently featured in NMAAM’s Crossroads gallery as one of the blues-based guitar masters of the 1960s. NMAAM also plans to feature Hendrix via photographic images prominently placed in gallery and lobby spaces.
- Black Man Almost Lynched in Bloomington, Indiana (video)
- Black Tony Scammed People Out Of Rickey Smiley Cruise Tickets! [WATCH]
- BUSINESS: Is Entercom about to sell Urban Stations to iHeart?
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time
- DL Hughley Says He Tried to Tell Us About Terry Crews
- The Undeniable Top 10 Best Black Female Singers in Groups of All Time
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- Is Byron Allen Interested in Buying TV One? Is Radio One an Added Bonus?
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story