An 84-year-old man from Florida that suffers from Alzheimer’s disease no longer has a home and life savings after he was preyed on by a funeral worker who authorities say took advantage of him following his wife’s passing, CBS Miami reported.
Authorities stated that 57-year-old Maribel Torres is the woman who took advantage of the 84-year-old man.
“In this case, Ms.Torres took advantage of an 84-year-old man at one of the weakest points – it was just the day after his wife had passed,” Miami Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle told CBS News. Rundle also added that she worries there may be other victims.
Torres first met the victim in August 2019 when he was making funeral arrangements for his wife.
“She could see that he was obviously not himself, on a whole bunch of different levels, and she began to befriend him,” Rundle said.
Torres reportedly told the victim that she knew him, and because of his progressing Alzheimer’s disease, they began to form a relationship. Torres then began to file paperwork to take to his home and also took out business loans under a corporation she created while using the victim’s residence. Torres collected more than $400,000.
Attorney Rundle stated that it came to light when “a good nephew who went back to check up on his uncle.”
The victim’s nephew reported to authorities that he discovered Torres and her son had moved into the victim’s home.
“His home has technically been sold and borrowed against,” Rundle told CBS4. CBS Miami said that it will be nearly impossible to get the house back.
Torres is facing three felony charges, including elderly exploitation and grand theft. Torres is currently out on bond. However, the victim’s health has regressed.
“I understand now he is at the highest level of Alzheimer’s so now the issue is to find him safe space, safe haven,” Rundle said.
- 1st Woman in GA to get Monkeypox Says it Didn’t Come from Sex … but Work
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Says R Kelly Can Survive Off $500 After Government Seizes over $28,000 from Prison Account (VIDEO)
- Park Visitor Discover Burning Body Hanging from Tree
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Says, “Studs of America” Gave Brittney Griner a “Poor” Video Tribute (VIDEO)
- Steve Harvey Said Kelis Made a Bad Business Decision Concerning Beyoncé’s “Renaissance” Album (VIDEO)
- Mother of 6 Young Girls Murdered by Finance (video)
- Man Leaves Philadelphia Because of Gun Violence, Comes Back for Funeral, Shot and Killed (video)
- Drunk Driver Who Caused Horrific Crash That Killed 6 in LA was “Upset Over Fight with Boyfriend” (video)
- Steve Harvey Says Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson Were Never Expected to Last (VIDEO)
- BUSTA RHYMES TO BE HONORED AS A BMI ICON AT THE 2022 BMI R&B/HIP-HOP AWARDS