A Black man was charged with a hate crime after he slashed a woman with a box cutter. Police say the man attacked the 59-year-old Asian woman on Sunday in New York City.
Anthony Evans, 30, was arrested on Tuesday in Manhattan by NYPD, who charged the assailant with assault as a hate crime. He is also being charged with criminal possession of a weapon.
Police said, before getting away, the man approached the older woman and sliced her hand with a box cutter as she pulled her shopping cart behind her on 42nd street near Times Square.
The victim told ABC News New York station WABC that she was so terrified by the attack she was scared to go outside. She also sustained heavy bleeding from the assault, she added.
Crime data from the NYPD states that hate crimes in the city are up by 13.3% year to date.
According to the San Francisco Police Department, four people attacked a woman on Sunday in the lobby of a San Francisco housing complex. The SFPD told ABC News that the woman did not understand the men when they began talking to her because of the language barrier.
Police told ABC News the woman was followed into the building and then attacked by the four suspects described as juveniles who stole her belongings.
The young assailants allegedly returned, stole the woman’s keys, and attacked her, she told ABC News San Francisco station KGO.
In a statement, the SFPD said no arrests had been made, and the incident is still under investigation.
- Neighbors Cry for More Police Funding After Elderly Woman is Zip-Tied, Robbed, in Broad Daylight
- Prominent Dallas Attorney, Charged, Loses License over Deal to Launder $500 a Month in Drug Money
- Terrance Dean, Author of “Hiding in Hip Hop” has Died
- Mass Shooting Near Recreation Center Where Children Were Nearby in Philly, 5 Shot (Video)
- Steve Harvey Says R Kelly’s Situation is a “Tragedy On All Levels” (VIDEO)
- Devoted Father who Homeschooled his Four Young Daughters, Killed in Road Rage Incident
- Rapper Served Warrant, Has Tiger as Pet, Arrested (video)
- Ebro in the Morning Talks to Tracy Morgan about Returning to the Stage After His Tragic Accident, New Tour, And More (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses If Nicki Minaj Crossed the Line with Her Comments About Kevin Federline (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die