Radio Facts – I was reading an article that stated that same money today would be valued at $6000.00
Originally posted on 2011-08-29 00:20:07
Esther Gordy Edwards (April 25, 1920 ““ August 24, 2011) was a staff member and associate of her younger brother Berry Gordy‘s fabled Motown label during the 1960s. Edwards created the Motown Museum, Hitsville U.S.A., by preserving the label’s Detroit studio. She also served as President of the Motown Museum.
Edwards founded the Gordy Printing Company with two of her brothers in the mid-1940s.
With her husband, they created the Ber-Berry Co-Op, which was intended to provide loans to family members. Her younger brother Berry reportedly asked for an $800 loan to help start Motown Records in 1959. After Motown became established, Edwards took an active role in management and booking tours, including the legendary Motortown Revue in the early 1960s. While at Motown, Edwards took on a motherly role towards some of the label’s younger acts. In the mid-1960s, she served as Motown’s vice president and chief executive officer.
She was succeeded in this role by Smokey Robinson in 1972. Edwards later served on the board for the Detroit Bank of Commonwealth and the Greater Detroit Chamber of Commerce.
In 1985, Edwards became the director of the Motown Historical Museum (Hitsville U.S.A.) and has since been credited with carefully maintaining the original studios of Motown. Edwards is often described as “the pillar of Motown”.
- DL Hughley Says He Tried to Tell Us About Terry Crews (video)
- Racist Man with No Mask calls Publix Black Deli Worker a “Ni**er While She Makes his Sandwich (video)
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- Former Adult-Rated Preacher Alexyss K. Tylor, Says she is the Child of a Rape by a Dead Major Celebrity
- Racist White Woman Tests Black Woman and Gets Punched in the Face
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- “Krazy Karens” Karen Pulls Gun on a Black Woman (video)
- Racist White Woman Gets Slapped
- This ‘Karen’ May no Longer be Racist after This (video)
- Former X-Rated Preacher, Alexyss K. Tylor, has New Profession: Psychic Medium (video)