Interstate I-240 was shut down after a Memphis police car struck a pedestrian trying to cross the road. According to Memphis Fire officials, the accident took place early Friday morning.
Just before 5:45 a.m., the accident occurred on westbound I-240 near Lamar Avenue.
An officer was traveling on the interstate, MPD said, when a pedestrian tried to run across the road.
Unable to avoid being hit, the officer struck the pedestrian, who died at the scene, with his vehicle.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
TDOT reported a crash at Exit 21/Lamar at 5:45 a.m. The exit ramp was closed while several westbound lanes were blocked.
Two lanes have reopened, MPD said. During the police investigation, the other lanes will remain closed for an undisclosed amount of time.
As an alternate route, drivers should use Winchester to Airways.
At approx. 5:42 a.m., an MPD officer was traveling w/b I-240 east of Airways when a pedestrian attempted to run across the interstate. The officer was unable to avoid striking the pedestrian. The pedestrian was pronounced deceased on the scene. This investigation is ongoing.— Memphis Police Dept (@MEM_PoliceDept) May 13, 2022
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses the Disrespectful Way Khloe Kardashian Found Out Tristan Thompson Cheated (Video)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Questions if Corey Gamble is With Kris Jenner for Her Money (Video)
- Man Jumps to Death From 32nd-Floor Balcony During Apartment Showing
- The 10 Greatest Jazz Artists of All Time
- “Dakota & Andy” Morning Show to Debut on K-Hit 107.5/KHYT-FM
- Saints & Sinners Delivers Great Finale
- Bloomberg Media and iHeartMedia Announce Lineup of New Original Podcasts
- Man Confronted For Wreckless Driving Opens Fire On Party, Partygoer Shoots Him Dead
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- 97.1 The Eagle Announces BFD 2022 Line Up