A four-year-old boy fatally shot himself while waiting in a car outside a Georgia grocery store as his mother shopped, heartbroken family and police say.
About 5 p.m on Sunday, Miyell Hernandez got a hold of a gun left in his mother’s car and “accidentally shot himself” outside of a Publix in DeKalb County, police said in a statement.
Authorities said a 13-year-old relative and an infant were in the vehicle with Hernandez at the accident.
The seriously wounded child was taken to a hospital, where he later died from his injuries.
As of Monday, no charges have been filed in the boy’s death.
“Our hearts and thoughts go out to the Hernandez family,” said DeKalb County Police Chief Mirtha Ramos. “We’re imploring gun owners to always keep their guns safe and secure.”
The teen in the car with Hernandez immediately ran into the grocery store to get help after the shooting, officials said. The children were left in the car while the mother shopped in the store.
Police told WAGA the gun was unsecured in the car.
Who the gun belonged to or whether it was legally registered is unclear.
As of midday Monday, an online fundraiser that was started to help raise money for Hernandez’s funeral expenses had amassed $1,900.
“Keep us in your prayer,” the website reads. “We are asking for love and support to fund a tragic moment for our family … Thank you for your love and support.”
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Hernandez’s death makes the sixth child to die from gun violence in greater Atlanta this year. Days before, 9-year-old Kemoni Mack was killed at an apartment complex in southeast Atlanta. A 16-year-old suspect was charged, police said.
- Woman Slaps Spirit Airlines Employee, Employee Attacks Her Back (video)
- Black Teen Gets Concussion, Lands in Coma, Wakes up only Speaking Fluent Spanish, Shocks Everyone (video)
- Support Provided for Grief-Stricken Staff After “Catastrophic Failure” Kills Over Twenty Thousand Fish
- Rickey Smiley Talks About Being Scared for Wendy Williams’ Life (VIDEO)
- Unlicenced Day Care Center Owner Charged After 7 Children Hurt in Fire (video)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Discusses a Woman Who is Willing to Share Her Man (VIDEO)
- Editorial: Angela Yee’s Exit from The Breakfast Club? Timely and Smart
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Getting Back Together for the Sake of their Children (VIDEO)
- 1st Woman in GA to get Monkeypox Says it Didn’t Come from Sexual Contact … but Work (video)