Thirteen people fell into a well and died during a wedding service in Uttar Pradesh, a state located in India.
The tragedy happened on Wednesday evening in the Kushinagar district during a traditional “haldi” ceremony. During this tradition, relatives apply turmeric paste to the face of the bride and groom as a mark of prosperity.
The wedding guests were sitting on a metal slab covering the well when it collapsed due to their combined weight during the wedding. According to the police, many of the victims died instantly.
Other guests in attendance made an attempt to rescue the victims where eleven were pronounced dead at the scene and two others were sent to a hospital where they died from their injuries. The attendees attempted to use ropes and ladders to help the victims out of the well.
Approximately 10 other people were injured in the incident and have been hospitalized according to police. The condition of these individuals remains unclear.
Narendra Modi, The Prime Minister of India, gave his condolences in a tweet after hearing about the fall of the individuals who were all women or children, media reports say.
News agency ANI spoke with police officer Akhil Kumar, and he explained the details of the incident.
“The incident occurred last night around 8:30 p.m. in Nebua Naurangia, Kushinagar, during a wedding program when some people were sitting on a slab covering a well. The slab broke under their weight,” he stated.
“The accident in Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh is heart-wrenching,” he wrote on Twitter according to Google Translate. “I express my deepest condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives in this. With this, I wish the injured a speedy recovery. The local administration is involved in all possible help.”
Yogi Adityanath, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, offered his condolences in a Twitter post as well.
”The death of the villagers in an unfortunate incident in Naurangiya School Tola (village) of Kushinagar district is very sad,” he wrote according to Google Translate. “My condolences are with the bereaved families of the deceased/ Prabhu Shri Ram is wishing for the speedy recovery of the injured.
- Woman Slaps Spirit Airlines Employee, Employee Attacks Her Back (video)
- Black Teen Gets Concussion, Lands in Coma, Wakes up only Speaking Fluent Spanish, Shocks Everyone (video)
- Support Provided for Grief-Stricken Staff After “Catastrophic Failure” Kills Over Twenty Thousand Fish
- Rickey Smiley Talks About Being Scared for Wendy Williams’ Life (VIDEO)
- Unlicenced Day Care Center Owner Charged After 7 Children Hurt in Fire (video)
- Editorial: Angela Yee’s Exit from The Breakfast Club? Timely and Smart
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Discusses a Woman Who is Willing to Share Her Man (VIDEO)
- 10 Songs by Black Singers that NEVER Die
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- SUNDAY READ: Running a Business Lessons I Wish I’d Known Earlier