Radio Facts: Old-fashioned radio is not dead. The trouble is finding it on the dial. Remember dials? If not, the modern equivalent is knowing when to stop the scan button.
These days, restricted playlists OK’d by suited executives can reduce radio DJs to puppets. Or eliminate them. Great songs are wrung dry by repetition while others are forgotten. And not to dis the genius of Pandora, but when a computer system deduces what you want to hear, the excitement of discovery is diminished.
Many music lovers lament that lazy listening doesn’t turn them on. They’ve tuned out. But a few people in Jacksonville offer extra incentive to tune in: They’re producing original programs, playing music that many people would otherwise never hear. Their shows pepper our airwaves, reinventing old radio conventions. We’re sharing a few we find refreshing.
- Is Byron Allen Interested in Buying TV One? Is Radio One an Added Bonus?
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time
- Black Man Almost Lynched in Bloomington, Indiana (video)
- DL Hughley Says He Tried to Tell Us About Terry Crews
- BUSINESS: Is Entercom about to sell Urban Stations to iHeart?
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- Racist White Woman Tests Black Woman and Gets Punched in the Face
- The Undeniable Top 10 Best Black Female Singers in Groups of All Time
- Black Male Singers who Stand the Test of Time