A young child was slain near a Boston playground, said the mayor. On Wednesday evening, police said, just before sunset, a juvenile male was shot and killed on a neighborhood street.
Around 7:30 p.m., along Ellington Street near a playground, the murder occurred. Authorities declined to provide any additional information about the victim. However, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said the victim was a “young child.”
“Anytime there is any incident of gun violence in our community, it is absolutely unacceptable,” Wu said. “When we see the loss of life, and particularly a young child, we are all robbed of the potential, the life, that was ahead of this young person. I am deeply devastated and here with community members to say we need to get guns off of our streets.”
The youngster was killed near the Erie-Ellington Playground, located at the corner of Ellington and Erie streets.
“When someone as young as this loses their life tragically to gun violence, I will echo what the mayor has said,” Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden said. “We need to address and get these guns off our streets.”
“One homicide in our city is one too many, they’re all tragic, but when it happens to someone of tender years, what happens to a young teenager, that obviously strikes right at the very heart and right the very fabric of our communities and our children,” Hayden said. “Our heart goes out to this community. It goes out to this young man’s family.”
“There was a very quick response here and there’s still a lot of evidence being gathered and a lot of information coming in,” Hayden said.
Anyone with any information should contact Boston police homicide detectives at 617-343-4470.
- Neighbors Cry for More Police Funding After Elderly Woman is Zip-Tied, Robbed, in Broad Daylight
- Prominent Dallas Attorney, Charged, Loses License over Deal to Launder $500 a Month in Drug Money
- Rapper Served Warrant, Has Tiger as Pet, Arrested (video)
- Steve Harvey Says R Kelly’s Situation is a “Tragedy On All Levels” (VIDEO)
- Young Boy Dies After Nebraska Experiences Its First Ever Case of Rare Brain-Eating Organism
- Devoted Father who Homeschooled his Four Young Daughters, Killed in Road Rage Incident
- Woman Arrested After Leaving Toddler in Hot Car While Working Shift at McDonald’s
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses If Nicki Minaj Crossed the Line with Her Comments About Kevin Federline (VIDEO)
- Ebro in the Morning Talks to Tracy Morgan about Returning to the Stage After His Tragic Accident, New Tour, And More (VIDEO)
- Mass Shooting Near Recreation Center Where Children Were Nearby in Philly, 5 Shot (Video)