On Tuesday, Yelp announced they will cover the travel expenses of employees who have to travel out of state for abortions to help workers affected by new restrictions in Texas and other states.
Yelp, Inc. is an American company that develops the Yelp.com website and the Yelp mobile app, which publish crowd-sourced reviews about businesses. It also operates Yelp Reservations, a table reservation service.
The benefit covers all 4,000 employees at the online review service but is expected to have its biggest immediate impact on its 200 workers in Texas, which has passed a law banning abortions within the state after six weeks of pregnancy.
“We’ve long been a strong advocate for equality in the workplace, and believe that gender equality cannot be achieved if women’s healthcare rights are restricted,” said Miriam Warren, Yelp’s chief diversity officer.
Other states like Oklahoma are also buckling down on abortions inciting San Francisco-based company yelp and multiple other companies to create policies directed at helping their workers get reproductive health care in other states.
New York-based company Citigroup disclosed plans to cover the travel expenses of any of its 220,000 plus employees, thousands who work in Texas who travel to another state for an abortion.
Uber and Lyft, the two largest U.S. ride-hailing services announced last year that they will pay the legal fees for drivers who could get sued under the new Texas law for transporting a passenger to an abortion appointment.
These new policies come to expose companies to potential backlash from those who support abortion restrictions, but they could possibly be an advantage for those employers with a footprint in states like Texas in a competitive job market that is continuously increasing.
Our mission is simple: to connect people with great local businesses.
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Mo’Nique’s Apology to DL Hughley (VIDEO)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Talked to Comedian Earthquake About His New Movie, Tour, and More (VIDEO)
- Teenagers Break into $8 Million Florida Home To Throw Party, Shares Evidence Online
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Why the Verdict Against Bill Cosby Might Be Long Overdue (VIDEO)
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- The Steve Harvey Show Discusses Martin Lawrence Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses T.I.’s Anger Over the Cancellation of His Show
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- Woman Gets Prison Time After ‘Prank’ Pushing Man Off Boat, Causing Him To Drown
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Talks About Kirk Franklin’s Relationship With His Troubled Son (VIDEO)