Urban One was recently hit with a class-action suit from two women, Desiree Lucas and Dominique Hinton, both claiming unpaid overtime and sexual harassment.
Former VP of Programming Dave “Hurricane Dave” Smith is not a defendant in the case but he is named in the lawsuit for sexual harassment. Smith was terminated this past August when another female employee Shorty Mack stated he sexually harassed and assaulted her. Smith has since filed a countersuit against her for defamation.
In the new class-action suit, the women state they were paid less than $13.00 an hour with one of them stating the rate had not changed in eight years. Both believe male employees who did similar jobs were/are paid more than they were/are. Hinton was terminated from the Radio Station while Lucas is still an employee.
For the Hurricane Dave portion of the suit, sexual advances were allegedly made to Hinton with statements like:
- “What’s your favorite sex position?”
- “I think about you. Do you think about me?”
- “I think about you when I’m having sex with my wife.”
Both women stated Hurricane allegedly used the same line to them “If you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.”
The women state that when they refused the sexual advances they believe their hours were shortened by Smith and while an investigation ensued Smith went on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise. They feel they were punished for taking the complaints to management. Read more about the suit from Rodney Ho of the AJC
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Mo’Nique’s Apology to DL Hughley (VIDEO)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Talked to Comedian Earthquake About His New Movie, Tour, and More (VIDEO)
- Teenagers Break into $8 Million Florida Home To Throw Party, Shares Evidence Online
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Why the Verdict Against Bill Cosby Might Be Long Overdue (VIDEO)
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses T.I.’s Anger Over the Cancellation of His Show
- Woman Gets Prison Time After ‘Prank’ Pushing Man Off Boat, Causing Him To Drown
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- The Steve Harvey Show Discusses Martin Lawrence Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Talks About Kirk Franklin’s Relationship With His Troubled Son (VIDEO)