Just in time for Halloween, multi-platinum Trinidad-born and Atlanta-based rapper, artist, and entrepreneur Trinidad James scares up a wild new single and music video entitled “UGLY” via Gold Gang Records / Beach Wave Sounds and ADA Worldwide.
Once again, he delivers a big screen-worthy visual to accompany this buoyant, bold, and big track. Unpredictable production and eerie keys grind up against off-kilter cadences just before he carries an undeniably catchy chant, “I get a look in the mirror, I’m feeling ugly again.”
In the black-and-white music video directed by Mike Marasco, Trinidad nods to iconic horror traditions with his own twist. It jumps from him haunting a woman in the delivery room to his manicure behind bars. He breaks a mirror with a deformed Frankenstein-style face before all hell breaks loose in jail and it continues to get even crazier.
About the song, Trinidad said, “‘U Gotta Love Ya$elF’ is an acronym of my truth. I’ve been through a lot. An ‘UGLY’ path indeed, but when I look back, the things I got clowned for are the things that made me successful. I don't ever want to be ashamed of that again. Sonically, ‘UGLY’ is one of the hardest beats coming out of 2019. I bet the house on that.”
It arrives hot on the heels of his single “Playli$t,” which premiered on Complex who wrote, “The Youngfyre-produced song itself, titled ‘Playli$t,’ sees James opening up about his experience.”
“UGLY” never sounded so beautiful. “Playli$t” and “UGLY” will be featured on Trinidad’s highly anticipated upcoming album out in 2020.
- Black Man Almost Lynched in Bloomington, Indiana (video)
- Is Byron Allen Interested in Buying TV One? Is Radio One an Added Bonus?
- BUSINESS: Is Entercom about to sell Urban Stations to iHeart?
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- The Top 10 Best Gospel Artists and Best Gospel Songs
- DL Hughley Says He Tried to Tell Us About Terry Crews
- Black Male Singers who Stand the Test of Time
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- Kailee Scales, Managing Director of The Black Lives Matter Global Network Now Represented by The Chamber Group
- Best Black Female Singers of All Time