19th Annual Pan African Film Festival Opening Night Gala
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Russ Parr’s “35 and Ticking” Set to Premiere
WHO: Writer and director Russ Parr + cast | “35 and Ticking”
The cast includes:
- Kym Whitley ““ actress, comedian and executive producer
- Mike Epps ““ comedian, executive producer
- Nicole Ari Parker ““ actress
- Kevin Hart ““ comedian
- Tamela Jones ““ actress
- Wendy Raquel Robinson ““ actress
- Clifton Powell ““ actor
- Keith Robinson ““ actor
- Luenell ““ actress, comedienne
- Dondre Whitfield ““ actor
- Aaron D. Spears ““ actor
Plus, some of Russ Parr’s famous friends:
- Jamie Foxx ““ Oscar-winning actor, “Ray”
- Kim Coles ““ actress/comedienne, “My Black is Beautiful,” “Nate Berkus Show”
- Erica Hubbard ““ actress, “Let’s Stay Together”
- Joyful Drake ““ actress, “Let’s Stay Together”
- Jacque Edmonds ““ executive director, BET “˜s “Let’s Stay Together”
- Elise Neal ““ actress, “All of Us”
- Melyssa Ford ““ actress, “Love For Sale”
- Claudia Jordan ““ tv & radio personality, “Celebrity Apprentice”
- Sheryl Lee Ralph ““ award-winning actress, “Moesha,” “Designing Women”
- Glynn Turman ““ Emmy award-winning actor, “Takers”
- Dawnn Lewis ““ “A Different World,” “Hanging With Mr. Cooper”
- Ernie Hudson ““ “The Secret Life of the American Teenager”
- Vanessa Bell Calloway ““ actress, “Hawthorne”
- Gbenga Akinnagbe ““ actor, “The Good Wife”
- Kelvin Brown ““ actor, “Takers”
- YoYo ““ hip hop artist & radio personality
- Gramma Funk ““ Grammy-nominated artist
- Donald B. Welch ““ playwright, author
- Les Brown ““ motivational speaker
- Ngo Okafor ““ two time Golden Glove boxing champ and hot, sexy male model
- Ayuko Babu ““ founder and executive producer of the Pan African Film Festival
- Nate Parker ““ celebrity host, actor “Great Debaters,” “Blood Done Sign My Name”
- Hlmola Dandala | The Africa Channel’s Creative Achievement honoree ““ a well-known South African actor, producer and director. Set to star with Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson and Terence Howard in “Winnie,” based on the life of Winnie Mandela
- Ngugi wa Thiong’o | The Africa ‘s Channel’s Literary Achievement honoree — a critically-acclaimed Kenyan novelist, essayist, and social activist and 2010 nominee for the Nobel Prize in Literature. A distinguished professor of English and Comparative Literature at the University of California , Irvine .
- Nadia Buari ““ Ghana ‘s top actress!
WHAT: 19th Annual Pan African Film Festival | Premiere of “35 and Ticking” by Russ Parr
WHEN: Wednesday, February 16, 2011
35 and Ticking | movie synopsis
Written and directed by Russ Parr
A romantic comedy about a group of 30-somethings trying to figure out their love lives while coping with getting older. Victoria, Zenobia , Clevon, and Phil are friends approaching the age of 35, and struggling to build the families they’ve always dreamed of. While Zenobia is still looking for a man. Victoria is married to a man who doesn’t want children. Clevon, meanwhile, is too geeky to get a woman, and Phil is already married with children, but his wife is not very interested in being a mother. All four of them try to rectify their romantic lives and futures while their biological clocks tick away.
About the Pan African Film Festival (PAFF)
PAFF, America’s largest and most prestigious international Black film festival, will take place February 16-23, 2011 at the Culver Plaza Theatre. It has selected at total of 121 films, representing 31 countries, 75 feature length films (narrative and documentaries) and 46 short films. The festival will hand out prizes for Best Documentary Feature, Best Documentary Short, Best Narrative Short, Best Narrative Feature, and Best First Feature Film, as well as audience favorite awards at the close of the festival.
Themed, “Experience Your World,” PAFF hopes to take its movie goers on a cinematic journey with screenings from around the world ““ that is, such countries as Angola, Austria, Bermuda, Canada, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mexico, South African, Nigeria, and of course, the United States. PAFF hopes these films with global appeal will open the minds of its audiences, and transport them to lands far away and back home again “¦ without ever packing a suitcase.
The Pan African Film and Arts Festival (PAFF), America’s largest and most prestigious Black film and arts festival, is gearing up for its 19th year of screening more than 100 films made by and/or about people of African descent from the United States, Africa, the Caribbean, South America, the South Pacific, Europe and Canada. PAFF holds the distinction of being the largest Black History Month event in the country.
PAFF was founded in 1992 by award-winning actor Danny Glover (“The Color Purple,” “Lethal Weapon” movie franchise), Emmy Award-winning actress Ja’Net DuBois (best known for her role as the busybody neighbor Willona in the tv series, “Good Times”) and executive director, Ayuko Babu, an international legal, cultural and political consultant who specializes in African Affairs. PAFF is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the promotion of ethnic and racial respect and tolerance through the exhibit of films, art and creative expression.