Netflix Teaming with Eddie Murphy on “Dolemite Is My Name!”
The Rudy Ray Moore Biopic Has Started Filming
Rudy Ray Moore was not just a comic he was an entrepreneur who profited from his talent, unlike so many black actors during the era. Moore stepped out of the box by using his hardcore x rated comedy to rewrite fairy tale and to create his own scripts onstage that had the audience rolling in the aisles. He invested in his own career by booking his own shows around the country,, staying in cheap motels so that he and the staff could take home more money and he produced and starred in his own legendary movies.
While most of the blacksploitation movies were done very cheaply but returned outrageous profit few were owned by stars of them if any. The lure of the blaxsploitation era even caught the attention of some major white Hollywood talent like Shelly Winters who successfully starred in Cleopatra Jones as a lesbian drug queenpin named “Mommy.”
Moore was also rumored to be gay, something that would have stopped his career in its tracks had it gotten out to his almost exclusive black staunch conservative fanbase. Several of his close friends knew but he kept it heavily guarded his entire career.
- Netflix announced that they are making Dolemite is my Name! a film based on treal-lifeife story of Rudy Ray Moore starring Eddie Murphy
- Cast: Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Eddie Murphy, Wesley Snipes (Blade trilogy, The Expendables 3), Mike Epps (Next Friday, The Hangover), Craig Robinson (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Office), Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) and Da’Vine Joy Randolph (Office Christmas Party)
- Director: Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow)
- Producer: Davis Entertainment’s John Davis and John Fox, and Eddie Murphy
- Executive Producer: Michael Beugg
- Writers: Golden Globe and Emmy Award winners Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson)
- Logline: Real life story of the irreverent Rudy Ray Moore, a “larger than life” comedian, musician, singer, actor, and film producer in the 1970’s. When he couldn’t get work in Hollywood, he simply created his own – including the most well-known Blaxploitation film of all time, Dolemite.
- Filming began June 11 around Los Angeles
- Netflix will launch the film in 2019
- Paramedic Killed After Machine Fell On Her While She Worked Out at Gym
- Officials Say Texas School Shooting Victims Were All In The Same Classroom, 21 Killed
- Congress Has Failed To Pass Any Gun Control Legislation Since Sandy Hook Nearly 10 Years Ago
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- 97.1 The Eagle Announces BFD 2022 Line Up
- Uvalde, Texas Native Matthew McConaughey Speaks Out About Hometown Mass Shooting
- AUDACY APPOINTS NEW BRAND MANAGER OF SPORTS RADIO 610 IN HOUSTON
- Top 10 BEST Black Male R&B Groups From the 90s
- Black River Publishing and Sony Music Publishing Sign Global Admin Deal