Meek Mill has received a deal that will clear his charges from a long-standing court case from 2007.
Meek pleaded guilty on Tuesday morning (August 27) to a misdemeanor gun charge at the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia. The attorneys and prosecutors on his case finalized a deal that all other charges against the rapper will be dropped. Judge Leon Tucker accepted Meek’s plea. “I know this has been a long road for you and hopefully this will be the end of it,” the judge said. The rapper is not expected to serve additional jail time.
After his time in court, Meek took time to thank his supporters and fans waiting on him outside. “Free Meek helped me get to this position,” he said, referring to the movement that has supported him for many years now. “I’m not on probation no more. Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. And I just wanted to come up here myself and thank all the supporters because I know y’all probably got family members in jail or people going through the same thing as me and I will continue to do what I do with the reform movement and help the people who helped me.”
The rapper was put behind bars for almost two years over a drug and gun conviction stemming from 2007. That conviction was overturned in July due to the arresting officer, Reginald Graham, being accused of stealing money on duty and lying about it. After technical violations in 2017, Meek was sent back to jail for five months. He finally released from prison in April 2018 after much support from fans as well as big names like Jay-Z and Philadelphia 76ers owner Michael Rubin.
Since his release, Meek has been a strong activist for criminal justice reform. His story and work were recently featured in the Amazon docuseries Free Meek, which was released earlier in the month.