When it rains it pours, they say – well, in this case, the rain is a good thing. Due to the generosity of MacKenzie Scott, the ex-wife of Amazon co-founder Jeff Bezos, she just made it possible for six HBCU's to continue their reign.
Scott, who is worth about $36 Billion after receiving 25% of the accumulated wealth of Jeff Bezos via their divorce announced on Tuesday that she had donated almost $1.7 billion in the past several months to more than one hundred nonprofit entities. Among those were Morehouse College, who received an eight-figure donation. Hampton received its largest donation ever. Spellman described their gift from Scott as “Magnanimous.” Xavier University of Lousiana received $20 Million along with Tuskegee University. Howard also received it's largest donation in the history of the school.
Scott sought out the advice of a team of non-profit advisors with key representation from historically marginalized race, gender, and sexual identity groups to help her find the right organizations to donate her money. The most beautiful thing about her donation is that it comes with no strings attached. Each organization can determine what they want to do with their newfound gift.
- D.L. Hughley Says He Tried to Tell Us About Terry Crews
- Popular DC Radio DJ Dies
- Madd Hatta Exits Radio One Takes on New Position
- Historic 92.3 The Beat in LA: A Great Station with a Dark History
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- Madd Hatta Talks about the State of Radio on 90.9 KTSU (video)
- Digital and Radio Facts 10 Best Black Vintage Radio DJs
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- 96.3 WHUR New Afternoon Show: Frank Ski with Nina Brown
- Richard Smallwood Admits Obsession with Suicide