Uncategorized URBAN

Jamillah Muhammad Addresses her Departure from Radio One Programming Position

jamillah muhammed

to radio Jamillah for stepping up to the plate and defending her years of experience and success. I have heard so many negative things about “The Representative” from SO many programmers at … but in all , I’m going to give him a chance to respond. Read on… K

For more than , I have been blessed with the opportunity to develop content, station and personality brands, increase ratings and showcase my professional skills in the business. Therefore, using my gifts, talents and abilities to work for a female, African American owner was something I looked forward to with Radio One.

I was abruptly asked to leave my position from Radio One on Feb. 1, 2012 (four months premature from my two (2) year contractual agreement) which was unforeseen based on our ratings growth and market awareness since my arrival. What was completely unexpected upon my arrival was the handicapped conditions I was expected to deliver success within. During my in Detroit at ’s WMXD, we successfully and consecutively out-performed Radio One for five (5) years. I was told by a Radio One representative, “I looked at your stations before you arrived, while you were there and what happened upon your departure. That is why I called you to program in one of our top markets, Washington, DC.” One would think with my track record, combined with the executive talent within Radio One, we would have reached our success goals with ease.

Do you enjoy reading RadioFacts ? Like us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter

While micro-managing a more than capable management staff was not a business style of mine, I still would not think I would have to experience the following: verbally diminishing and disrespecting my skill set, ignoring my programming ability, insulting my character by assuming I would break the rules and challenging my programming ideas by offering personal opinions that did not produce success. Finally, the promotion of the “representative’s” own agenda on and off air resulted in the ratings outcome currently seen around the country”¦ marginal. It was actually said to me by the “representative,” “I know more about what black women want than you do.” I was disappointed about this statement because it was further evidence that the prevailing issues were about gender and race and not being professional.

I have always been an innovative, promotionally-driven, sales friendly Program Director that realizes such components, in addition to the music selections are the necessary pieces that make a station successful, even during my time at Radio One/DC.

It has come to my attention that an executive from Radio One made the following statement regarding my recent release:

“She decided go above corporate dictates concerning the music played on the station and the folks at Radio One were none too happy about it or the ratings”

The above statement is from a person who obviously does not know me or my work ethic. My reputation and character for success in this business definitely speaks for itself. At Radio One, all music and programming decisions are enforced, modified and finalized by one person for the entire company. In addition, the ratings growth since my arrival from 8th in the market to 5th is as close as the station had gotten to the direct competitor, WHUR.

Our ratings success and market buzz with iHeartmedia (formerly Clear Channel) came from hard work, creative programming and promotions and working with management that did not have a need for control or to be disrespectful. When asked “can you provide me with a Radio One station as a template for success?” The answer I was given was no.

See the Most Read Stories for 2019

Guest Post: “For The Culture” – New Year’s Resolutions or Nah?

Brittney Quarles

CATHY HUGHES AND CHRIS TUCKER CO-HOST STAR-STUDDED ANNUAL URBAN ONE HONORS, PREMIERING JANUARY 20 AT 8 P.M./7C WITH SPECIAL PRE-SHOW TRIBUTE FEATURING BILLY PORTER AND REV. AL SHARPTON AT 7 P.M./6C ON TV ONE

Ace

BREAKING NEWS: J Anthony Brown Exits Tom Joyner Morning Show

RadioFacts Power Play List Cover

RadioFacts Power Play List Cover

Los Angeles Premiere of UNCUT GEMS Starring Adam Sandler at The Dome at ArcLight Hollywood (pics)

mr. bobo March 14, 2012 at 5:53 am

Ouch!!!

Rick Party March 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

Jamillah was, is, and always will be a class act.

Radiohead March 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

This behavior is nothing NEW, from the staff and management at Radio One. It’s embarrassing and a sad statement of where Black Radio has succumb to given our current situation as a nation and as a people. Shame on you Radio One and shame on Cathy Hughes for the misuse and abuse of those who work diligently to ensure the success of YOUR COMAPNY. To Jamilla and to the countless others who have been abruptly tossed out for doing the very thing they were hired to do – make a miracle out of a mess – your later shall be greater than your former…and know that for every day that you labored in trying to do good, God knows all and sees all and wHE is the rewarder of those who diligently seek HIM…not themselves or those who will tell them what they want o hear!! You are one of Gods Generals in this army we call Radio and TV…rest in the fact that your worth is not determined by management nor is it determined by market shares!! It’s determined by the light that you let shine, that men and women might see, the good works that Christ has begun and will complete in YPU and in the lives of those who purely seek His will and His way!!! Shame on Radio One! Shame on Cathy Hughes!!

MsInformed March 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

I feel this sister’s pain and have lived this VERY SAME story with the organized crime that is Radio One. Jamm is a role modle for any black female programmer. I’ve had to work directly with the “Rep” she spoke of and was told the EXACT SAME THINGS in varying degrees, that’s how I know the sista is telling the truth! But at the end of the day she will rise to even higher heights without the weight of that daily struggle on her back!

Tarik Hodge March 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Great Job! Jam,

I know you will land on your feet! You prepared for this day, the victory belongs to you!

Love and Praying for you!

Thanks

Tarik

BeeBoRro March 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

“I know more about what black women want than you do.” This statement is crazy, does this mean he is sleeping with black women? Does his wife know about this? Is his mother Black? When will white men understand they can not talk to people like this? He has to go.

Reggie Miles March 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The sad thing about it is that the DC market will miss out on one of the best radio programming battles in the country between Mentor (Maxx Myrrick at WHUR) and former student (Jamillah Muhammed Magic 102.3). Radio was definitely heating up in the DC market. As the two brilliant minds battled for airwave supremacy. I started listening to radio again. But now well back to cd’s.

ROSEY VELT March 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm

is the rep Jay Stevens??

DetroitGee March 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

Jamm was did an excellent job in the Detroit Market. She has the respect of those who worked with and for her. Wishing you much success my sistah.

ATLHusky March 15, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow, so much pity. This is business baby and you either got it or you don’t. Basically she just did not have the clock management skills. Let’s get the facts straight. If you can’t pass Selector 101 don’t expect to survive as a PD. Throwing rocks at R1 is not very smart and professional. R1 invested a lot in JM. She should take the exit package and plan her next move. This commenting about the sisters is childish. Hey ask her what happened at iHeartmedia (formerly Clear Channel)?

Mac March 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

& Radio One wonders why they’re broke? The ONLY markets where RO is actually winning is where they have no competition. What does some old white dude know about what black people wanna hear in Charlotte or Cleveland or Detroit from looking at reports in DC? If all the programming goes through one person, it shouldn’t be that hard to see where the problem is. I guess Alfred Liggins don’t wanna fire his golf buddy.

Jason Grace March 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting jam when she was programming at iHeartmedia (formerly Clear Channel), a Serious professional with a clear vision of what needs to be to create success in a market. I can’t believe in today’s times gender or race carries enough stigma to overlook her capabilities. Radio One will see in the future this was a serious mistake, a sad pitiful mistake. There is no doubt she will be snatched by a better market, and she’ll shine the way stars always do.

J.N. March 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I left Radio One years ago after four months for that very same bullshit I got the hell out as soon as I recognized their crap, She you have come a long way since sleeping on the floor at the station and obviously forgotten about how to be successful in radio then I read today your son blaming iHeartmedia (formerly Clear Channel) for Radio one having a bad fourth quarter how does that work? Do us a favor sell the stations focus on TV One.

Dfw dj March 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

I was interviews for a weekend gig at a radio one station. Don’t get me wrong there is good people working there but I knew some thing wasn’t right about the place. Thank God I didn’t get the job there. Also fellow jock who I had the pleasure of working with when we were both at a station in Dfw eventually went to R1 in Indy (at their CHR) to do mornings. The show was #1 in the market and the station was a consistent top 5. Didn’t matter to the big wigs. Within the last year his two sidekicks quit then he abruptly quit saying “medical reasons.” truth is that he couldn’t stand being treated like scum anymore. Not worth the headaches. We can blame the CC and cumulus for the state of radio but you can add R1 bigtime. No wonder they’re in the state they are!

Former Sidekick April 5, 2012 at 6:45 am

Wow, to the so-called “ATL Husky”, you are a classic hater (crab in a bucket) and need to learn to give respect when respect is due. You guys made a bad call and so now, let’s see R1 get back up from “The world’s dumbest move ever made”! Jam was/has always, ALWAYS been able to practice what she preaches and her resume speaks for itself; a “Top Ratings” earner/producer, unlike some people. Her time at iHeartmedia (formerly Clear Channel) was phenomenal and she left with a stellar reputation and with class! See, some people can’t handle other successful people because it intimidates them and thus, when Jam tried to give good sound professional advice to better R1, you’d rather sacrifice the longevity and success of the company, than to have someone show you out. The Bible says, “pride comes before a fall” and how great a fall it is! Jamillah is hands down, one of the best PD’s in the game! No one wants to work for a company that belittles and tries to defame their own employees because they have a problem with a successful woman. Jam, it all sounds like jealousy, politics, lies, and it’s all a hot mess! You have so much more for you than just peanuts. God has something great planned for you and let me tell you, by the times He’s done, they’ll all be sulking in their seats. Just forgive them, love them, pray for them and move on. Life gets better after this! Love you!