Warner Bros. Records (WBR) today announced that it has signed a global recording contract with legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan, including RZA, GZA, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa, and Cappadonna. As a group, Wu-Tang has sold over 6.5 million records in the US, while they’ve sold nearly 40 million records worldwide, including individual members’ album sales as well as group sales collectively. The group’s first release on the label will be the highly-anticipated 20th anniversary album, A Better Tomorrow, which will be available December 2nd.
Wu-Tang Clan said, “Wu-Tang Clan is excited to join the Warner family of esteemed artists. After 20 years in the business with different label outlets, we are delighted to be amongst a team of industry professionals who understand our unique artistry and will help spread it to the masses unadulterated. RZA and his brother Divine CEO of Wu-Tang felt synergy with executive/producer Rob Cavallo and Cameron Strang, and decided warner bros. would be a suitable home for their brand and band, and a great place to carry on the Wu-Tang saga. In the words of Ghostface, when it comes to being signed to Warner Bros., ‘we’re getting Bugs Bunny money.'”
Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, warner bros. Records, told Billboard, “Wu-Tang Clan is responsible for creating a deep discography of iconic rap music, spawning incredibly successful careers for each of the group’s individual members, and launching Wu-Tang into a full-fledged brand beyond their music. Two decades on, they remain a major force in hip hop music. I speak for everyone on our team when I say how thrilled we are to be the new home for one of hip hop music’s most influential groups. This is an exciting day in the history of warner bros. Records, and we can’t wait to contribute to the next phase of their careers.”
Over the course of their career, the group has released five studio albums and 19 compilation albums. Each of their first three albums– Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Wu-Tang Forever and The W-have been certified platinum by the RIAA, with Wu-Tang Forever having debuted at the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200.
- Transgender Woman in Car with Teddy Pendergrass Tells her side of the Story
- Attn: Black Music Executives Pertaining to Racism in the Industry
- Lyft Denies Incident in Atlanta involved their Vehicle or Driver? (video)
- Racist White Man to Publix Worker: “It’s Not My Fault You’re a Ni**er” Over a Sandwich
- Black Mother Stands Up to Cop and Refuses to Let Her Son Become a Hashtag (VIDEO)
- It Has Come to this: Bulletproof Backpacks to Protect Children in Chicago Have Arrived
- Black Reporters were not ready for White Police Chief’s Response for Being on his Phone during Community Meeting (video)
- ENTERCOM RELAUNCHES THE NEW STAR 94 IN ATLANTA
- TEDDY SWIMS RELEASES NEW ANTHEM “BROKE” TODAY
- The Undeniable BEST Black Male Singers of All Time