Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS) announces the kick-off today of Fresno News/Talk station KMJ-AM’s 100th birthday celebration. KMJ’s year-long Centennial celebration will include a concert to be announced and a documentary film.
KMJ began broadcasting on March 23, 1922, and is the 38th oldest licensed and continually operating radio station in America. Over the past 100 years of broadcasting, KMJ has provided listeners in Fresno and California’s Central Valley with news, current events, music, sports, religion, drama, comedy and most importantly, public service. Originally owned by the San Joaquin Light and Power Corporation, KMJ was later acquired by the McClatchy Newspaper Company in 1925 and has seen a handful of owners in the past century. KMJ is currently owned and operated by Cumulus Media.
Between 1925 and 1932, KMJ operated on a number of other frequencies. Eventually KMJ moved to 580 kHz in 1932, operating with 1 kW non-directional from a building rooftop in Downtown Fresno. Today, KMJ operates on the regional channel 580AM and 105.9FM with 50Kw and a directional antenna array with state-of-the-art towers near Orange Cove and Kerman. At the outset of World War II, the Department of War selected KMJ as the primary medium for alerting Central California residents. It is still used for this purpose today as a primary entry point for the Emergency Alert System.
Patty Hixson, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Fresno, said: “I started listening to KMJ in my 20’s. Over the past 33+ years, I have had the great honor and privilege to have worked with some of the greatest talent in the business, both on air and in sales. I am truly grateful and humbled by the fact that I have been so blessed to serve our valued listeners – this is my home!
The KMJ Brand will continue to serve our community and central California through continued focus on relevant content, philanthropy, and ethical business practices. Every day we aspire to be great… and it’s the men and women that work here every day, and have done so for the past 100 years, who deserve all the credit for achieving such a wonderful milestone.
“Blake Taylor, Program Director, KMJ 580AM/105.9FM, said: “It’s been an amazing run, and it’s far from over. KMJ has covered everything from the Harding administration to the Biden White House. Terrible tragedies to inspirational triumphs and everything in between. The service to the public of Fresno and the entire Central Valley of California will continue to be our sole focus for the next 100 years.”
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Mo’Nique’s Apology to DL Hughley (VIDEO)
- The Steve Harvey Morning Show Talked to Comedian Earthquake About His New Movie, Tour, and More (VIDEO)
- Teenagers Break into $8 Million Florida Home To Throw Party, Shares Evidence Online
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Why the Verdict Against Bill Cosby Might Be Long Overdue (VIDEO)
- The Steve Harvey Show Discusses Martin Lawrence Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame (VIDEO)
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses T.I.’s Anger Over the Cancellation of His Show
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- Woman Gets Prison Time After ‘Prank’ Pushing Man Off Boat, Causing Him To Drown
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses What Chris Brown Thinks About His Michael Jackson Comparison