Due to inclement weather, and with the safety of our students, faculty and staff in mind, Howard University will be closed on Monday, January 14, 2019, and will re-open on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. As a result, all classes scheduled for tomorrow are canceled.
In recent hours, the snowfall totals have increased for the entire region. Winter storm warnings remain in effect, with up to 12 inches of snow now expected in the Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas. The snowfall will significantly impact road safety and may result in flight delays and cancelations, as our students return to campus. Please stay indoors if possible. Everyone is encouraged to limit travel.
Please note, due to hazardous road conditions, campus shuttle service has been suspended today, January 13, 2019, and will be suspended tomorrow, January 14, 2019. Residence halls will remain open and staffed today and during the closure period.
- Unless designated as an essential employee, employees are not expected to travel to Howard University to work.
- All buildings will be secured and locked. Essential employees who need access to campus buildings must check in with the Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- As of the time of this email, Howard University Hospital will remain open.
- As of the time of this email, the Faculty Practice Plan will remain open. If this status changes, an update will be sent.
- Physical Facilities Management (PFM) maintenance and services will continue to respond to urgent situations and emergencies.
- WHUR-FM and WHUT-TV will continue their regular programming schedules.
- Mail services will be open to receive mail from our couriers, but the retail window at the post office will not be open for walk-up services.
- The bookstore will be open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- The iLab will close this evening at 8 p.m. and will re-open tomorrow from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Bethune Annex cafeteria will be open and will operate on a brunch/dinner schedule.
- Blackburn cafeteria will be closed.
Your safety is our number one priority. If an emergency arises, please be sure to contact DPS for assistance at 202-806-1100.
Stay up-to-date during this first winter weather event of 2019. Campus status and other weather-related updates are available at the locations below:
Stay warm and safe!
Excellence in Truth and Service,
Tashni-Ann Dubroy, Ph.D., MBA
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer