Bill Cosby Back on Trial Facing Another Sexual Assault Allegation

0
93

Bill Cosby will go back to trial this week to face another sexual assault allegation. The new trial will center around claims that he sexually assaulted a teenage girl back in the mid-1970s.

In a civil suit, Judy Huth claimed she was assaulted sexually by the now 84-year-old Cosby during a visit to the Los Angeles Playboy Mansion when she was either 16 or 17 years old.

A Cosby spokesperson told the New York Post, on Tuesday, that jury selection is expected to start at Los Angeles Superior Court and will likely last up to a week.

The legally blind Cosby will not be present in court for the proceeding. On June 1, opening arguments are expected to begin.

Allegedly, the incident took place in 1975, Huth said, according to The Post. After changing her timeline from the initial claim, she stated the attack took place in 1974. Cosby’s team launched an unsuccessful bid to have the case thrown out due to the inconsistency in Huth’s story.

Judge David Karlan ruled earlier this month that Cosby’s attorney, Jennifer Bonjean, could again depose Huth, and her friend, Donna Samuelson.

Andrew Wyatt, Cosby’s spokesperson and crisis communicator informed The Post that Samuelson was deposed Friday, while Huth will be deposed Monday evening.

“This is a trial by assassination of Mr. Cosby’s legacy and livelihood,” Wyatt said, adding that Cosby, who denies the allegations, believed he would be “vindicated.”

Huth alleged that she and Samuelson met Cosby while he was filming a movie at Lacy Park in San Marino, California, stated the lawsuit, which since 2014 has faced multiple delays.

Cosby questioned the age of the minors upon meeting them, the lawsuit stated. Days later, when they were allegedly invited to the Playboy Mansion, they were instructed to say they were 19 years old, the suit said.

Huth alleged in the original complaint that while at the mansion, Cosby molested her by “putting his hand down her pants, and then taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without consent.”

“We deny, obviously, that Mr. Cosby did anything at the Playboy mansion that would constitute a sexual battery,” Bonjean said earlier this month.

Currently, no employees can discuss how visitor logs were maintained back in the 1970s; representatives of Playboy Enterprises had previously stated.

They believed that if such logs existed, they would likely be held by the estate of late Playboy founder Hugh Hefner.

There is no evidence that Huth was ever at the Playboy mansion, Cosby claimed.

“We are eager to fight Judy Huth’s 1974 allegations in court,” Bonjean previously told Newsweek regarding the trial. “Frankly, it is absurd that Mr. Cosby is expected to defend half-century-old allegations, but that’s what we will do in May of this year.”

The trial comes after Cosby’s guilty verdict in 2018 for drugging and sexually assaulting Temple University sports administrator Andrea Constand in 2004.

After the TV dad had served less than three years of a three- to 10-year sentence, in June 2021, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court threw out the conviction and released him from prison.

When the Pennsylvania Supreme Court looked into a 2005 civil lawsuit from Constand, Cosby’s conviction was overturned. Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor, in 2005, informed Cosby that if he testified in the suit, he would never be criminally prosecuted for assaulting Constand.

Cosby agreed to his terms and admitted to providing Constand with Benadryl and other women quaaludes before sex. $3.38 million in damages was paid by Cosby in the suit, and Castor said he would not bring criminal charges.

However, the decision was reversed by the Montgomery County District Attorney, who succeeded Castor.

Cosby’s due process rights were violated, the state’s Supreme Court later ruled, and his conviction was overturned on June 30, 2021. Later that same day, he was released.

In November 2021, prosecutors in the case appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, claiming that lifetime immunity was not given to Cosby.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said in a statement released at the time that the petition to the Supreme Court was necessary because the state court’s decision set an example saying, “prosecutors’ statements in press releases now seemingly create immunity.”

In March of this year, the Supreme Court said that it had decided not to review the case that could have reinstated Cosby’s sexual assault conviction.

Throughout his 50-plus-year career, Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by nearly 60 other women. In the past, Cosby has faced other lawsuits; however, the Pennsylvania criminal case was significant in that it resulted in Cosby facing a three- to 10-year prison sentence.


Subscribe to Radio Facts

* indicates required

Popular Posts


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here