KINGSPORT, Tenn.â€”Rapper Bryan “Birdman” Williams was among 16 people charged with possession of marijuana Tuesday after the RV they were riding in was pulled over by police for making an improper lane change.
Kingsport Police Cpl. Tim Horne said he stopped the vehicle after seeing it force a tractor trailer into the emergency lane on Interstate 81.
Horne said he could smell marijuana from inside the rented RV and located about a pound of marijuana in a trash can in the kitchenette after obtaining consent to search the vehicle.
Williams, 38, his wife Brittany, 18, and his brother, Ronald Williams, 43, were each charged with possession of more than 1/2 ounce of marijuana as were 13 others, several of whom are also affiliated with the rap industry and Cash Money Records, which was founded by Bryan and Ronald Williams.
Among those arrested were road manager Shahid Muhammad, 40, Cash Money Records promoter Casey Collins, 42, and music promoter Ovide Antoine, 32, of Miami, Fla.
All 16 remained jailed late Tuesday night. It was not known if any of them had an attorney.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is assisting in the investigation because an assault rifle, a handgun and a magazine for a .45-caliber handgun were found on the RV, Horne said. No weapons charges have been filed.
The group said they were traveling from New Orleans to New York for a BET network shoot.
- Singer “Wondress” has Died (video)
- Steve Harvey Says Says Men And Women Can’t Have Genuine Friendships
- Rickey Smiley Appreciates Steve Harvey Cussing Him Out (VIDEO)
- Who Was Teddy Pendergrass? A Deeper Perspective into his Career and #1 Hits
- Who Was Gene Griffin?
- Did We Hear That Right? D’Angelo Has New Music Dropping?
- Sade and 5 Other Great Black Musicians who Stand the Test of Time
- Christopher ‘Play’ Martin On Celebrating Dance In Hip Hop Culture, New Doc ‘And I Danced’ + More
- Sony Wants You to Put the Needle on the Record as they Unveil New Turntable