The nationwide formula shortage has sent two Tennessee children to the hospital where they are currently being treated.
Neither doctors nor their families can find the formula that the children are in need of, according to WMC.
Officials stated that both children are at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Tennessee, and they both have special medical needs and the normal formula they use is out of stock.
“This is a crisis for us in health care,” said Dr. Mark Corkins, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.
The two children hospitalized are currently being treated by Corkins. He states they are preschool age and the other is a toddler, and both are living with intestinal conditions.
“This is not every child, not normal children, but literally the formula recall has led to these children requiring hospitalization,” Corkins said.
The children’s bodies did not tolerate the switch to a different formula, according to Corkins. This occurred when their parents could no longer find the formula that they were used to.
Doctors are now treating the children with IV fluids and nutrition until formula becomes available.
“This recall started in February. Even if you had several weeks of stock, we’re now out for the special formulas,” Corkins said. “So literally we have what we have. We have some things that we’re trying to find. We’re trying to use some alternatives but the standard ones, the ones you would think of, this is none to be had.”
On Monday, Abbott Nutrition reached an agreement with the FDA yo re-open their manufacturing plant to help with the formula shortage. The company’s Michigan plant had been closed due to bacterial contamination.
The news is a relief for parents that are desperately searching for formula, however, it could take at least eight weeks for products to start showing up on store shelves.
Corkins and other medical professionals say parents should not use a homemade formula to feed their children. They also say people should not dilute the formula.
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Mo’Nique’s Apology to DL Hughley (VIDEO)
- Steve Harvey Discusses if Chris Brown is ‘Better’ Than Michael Jackson (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Why Lil Nas X is Upset With BET (VIDEO)
- The Breakfast Club Discussed the Outcome of Suge Knight’s Wrongful Death Lawsuit (VIDEO)
- Trans Woman, Tenika Watson, in 1982 Car Crash with Teddy Pendergrass Speaks
- Roland Martin Discusses The Virtual HBCU Experience ‘HBCUv’ with United Negro College Fund (VIDEO)
- The Rickey Smiley Morning Show Discusses Why the Verdict Against Bill Cosby Might Be Long Overdue (VIDEO)
- Crystal Jones Comes Clean About TLC Exit (video)
- Frustrated and Abusive, The Sad Story of the DeBarge’s Father Robert DeBarge Sr.,
- Woman Gets Prison Time After ‘Prank’ Pushing Man Off Boat, Causing Him To Drown